Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hr long enough to connect to international flight at Atlanta

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying from Harrisburg to Belize connecting in Atlanta. Is a 1 hour layover enough time to connect to the other flight. Both flights are Delta.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM

No. What if your flight is delayed. Check to see if your flight to Belize goes out from the new International Terminal. It's a seperate building and you have to take a shuttle bus to get there or walk through a long ramp. If you deplane, with your bags, you will go through security again, if the flight leaves from the new terminal. If your bags go through directly to Belize you should be ok. An hour is cutting it close especially if you need the new terminal. It's a huge airport with 7 terminals.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM

The above post is incorrect. The new international building is for checking in for int'l flights and for processing int'l arrivals. Does not apply to a domestic-int'l connection.

Even if your flight departs from the new Concourse F, there is absolutely no need to take any bus or go through security. Your connection is like a domestic one - just go to the new gate. Since DL uses almost all concourses at ATL, it may be a fairly long distance, and unless you're going in and going out of the same concourse, you'll need to take the train between concourses.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM

rkkwan - that sounds an awful lot like the setup in ORD.

Int's flights leave from the same terminal as you arrive domestically in.

Arrival internationally is in terminal 5. From there you have to do the re-checkin and go through security bit.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM

It is NOT like T5 at ORD. Int'l Terminal at ATL has no gates, just like the domestic terminal (or terminals if you separate that structure into North and South) has no gates. All the concourses sit between the two terminals.

For Int'l arrivals, the procedure isn't much different than before, and anybody using ATL can't usually avoid the train anyways. The big difference is for those going into Atlanta. They no longer have to reclear security after customs. Now they can just exit to the outside world from the new terminal.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 05:21 AM

To OP - the problem with questions like this is that even if the consensus of the responders tells you a 1 hour connection time should be OK - if your inbound flight is delayed for any reason you may miss your connecting flight. If that happens you have to know what your flight options are in order to reach your final destination if your inbound flight is delayed. The point being, if the next flight to Belize is not until the following day you are going to be stuck at the airport and telling the airline that the responders on a Travel Forum told you it would be OK won't amount to a hill of beans - you'll still be stuck at the airport.

So, while a 1 hour connection should be sufficient since your connection is akin to a domestic connection there is always the possibility something could go amiss. YOU have to weigh that risk.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM

I had an hour connection on Delta from LAX-ATL-Santiago, Chile. Changed terminals with time to spare. I do agree with the poster above though. Check and see what your options are if you miss the connection, and try to sit near the front of the plane.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM

I think you should be OK with an hour, but it'll be tight, particularly if your first flight is delayed. The ATL airport is huge.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 04:54 AM

I get very nervous with only an hour layover for ANY flight, as 60% of the time, my flights are delayed at least somewhat, and I've done enough Mad Dashes through enough airports to not want to repeat them.