Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

United 737-900 is it First or Business? FF in the know?

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I booked tickets to Cancun via United. The model of plane is 737-900
I had already upgraded to Premium Economy when checking out they offered "elite" which I didn't know what that is as we rarely fly United.
But, once checking out the tickets are row 5. It looks like it's the last row of First Class.
The ticket doesn't say that though. Just Row 5.

Is this the worst seat to pick? It doesn't recline. It's international. So I'm thinking the extra leg room is good? The a/c power?

Any frequent fliers that can shed light? My thought is that First Class is always a tad nicer when you are closer to front of the plane. And more leg room. But, are we going to hate not being able to recline? I never recline. My husband does though.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 02:48 PM

It is First Class no BC on their B737-900
The row you have chosen is the last row of FC, washrooms are just behind you.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Okay I know it's the last row. I'm saying is it not worth it? Should I just try to go back to regular upgraded coach seats for the leg room if I can't recline
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by frenchtoile View Post
Okay I know it's the last row. I'm saying is it not worth it? Should I just try to go back to regular upgraded coach seats for the leg room if I can't recline
That is really up to you, if reclining is very important to your husband then I would move back into economy. You mention Premium Economy but I do not see that offered on the B737-900, perhaps you meant Economy Plus which gives you just a tad more leg room and recline in economy?

Last edited by getgoing1; Jan 16th, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 06:15 PM

Look at seat guru. In row 5 two seats recline and two don't. So double check which side of the aisle you are on. Whether not reclining is a deal breaker is up to you. But for me the 2 - 2 seating is a heck of a lot better than the 3 - 3 you get in Premium Economy. Your DH most likely wouldn't miss the recline since the overall cabin/layout is so much roomier.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 11:38 PM

Row 5 recline sucks but is better than the cattle class section. Wider and more comfortable seat, better pitch and food and beverage, along with priority boarding. There is no Premium Economy, that is only on true international flights (e.g., to Europe or Asia) just Economy Plus which gives you a few more inches of pitch/legroom but regular Economy food and beverage service.. Row 5 in First is better than Economy plus.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 08:52 PM

Go to united dot com and change your seats. If you can't do that now, then try again a week out and then again 2 or 3 days before departure, or on check-in, or at the gate. In any event, I would not go back to economy.

On a 2-cabin aircraft United would call the front cabin first class on a domestic flight but business class on a flight to Mexico (maybe other intra-continental destinations)
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 11:48 AM

There are three different 737-900 configurations on United. two versions have 2/3 recline on the right side and no recline on the left. Third version has limited recline (doesn't indicate 2/3 like the others) on ALL four row 5 seats. If you can pull up the United seat map itself, it will tell you which version you're in by the number of economy seats and seat guru has the layouts for all.