Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > UA Swiss Codeshare seat assignments with minors
Notices

UA Swiss Codeshare seat assignments with minors

Nov 1st, 2016, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

UA Swiss Codeshare seat assignments with minors

Hello! In all my years of international travel I must never have had the unfortunate opportunity to book a code share ticket that does not allow advance seat reservations until now. We booked flights on United, flying Swiss airlines from Boston to Zurich, in April. When I booked the tickets, I noticed that it said that I couldn't pick our seats, but I figured that I would eventually be able to because I've never not been able to reserve seats on an international flight. Now, after googling and reading various threads, it seems we are out of luck until we check in 23 hours prior to departure.

My concern is that my husband and I are flying with two seven year olds and, obviously, they need to be sitting with us.I'm just nervous that, by waiting until one day before departure, we won't be able to find two sets of two seats together. Is there anything I can do? I will try calling Swiss but in the posts I've already read that seems like a lost cause. I would gladly pay for seat reservations but that doesn't even seem like an option for us.

Anyone else book a code share without seat reservations and traveled with children? Would love to hear some first hand experiences.

Thanks!
Tracy
Nov 1st, 2016, 10:41 AM

It is not unusual for European airlines to withhold seat assignments until check-in. We've flown hundreds of times without seat assignments and have never had trouble getting seats together.
Nov 1st, 2016, 11:21 AM

At the airport they will put you together. The worst that will happen if the plane is very full is that one parent will sit w/ one child and the other parent with the other child. They will not seat a 7yo by himself. But yes, it is VERY common to not get advance seat assignments.
Nov 1st, 2016, 02:41 PM

Most of UA's codeshares do not allow advanced seat assignments. Only Air Canada does, that I know of. Get to the airport early to get your seats.

Search this Thread