Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   UA Carry-On Policy (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/ua-carry-on-policy-1478332/)

TDudette Oct 1st, 2017 07:56 AM

UA Carry-On Policy

What if your laptop computer is larger than 10"? I have a cheap flight and am reading the fine print. Anyone belong to MileagePlus? Does that allow larger carry on?

RoamsAround Oct 1st, 2017 08:49 AM

I think you may be a little confused. If flying on a Basic Economy ticket you are allowed one personal carry-on bag that measures no more than 9"x10"x17". Most "modern day" laptops can fit in a bag that size. The bag must be stowed under the seat in front of you.

If you are a Mileage Plus member you can bring a "full size" carry-on - 9"x 14"x22". This bag can be put in the overhead bin.

ms_go Oct 1st, 2017 09:20 AM

<i>If you are a Mileage Plus member you can bring a "full size" carry-on - 9"x 14"x22". This bag can be put in the overhead bin.</i>

Mileage Plus <b>Premier</b> member...

Q: What is my carry-on baggage allowance when I buy a Basic Economy ticket?
A: With Basic Economy, you'll be allowed to bring on board one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Mobility aids and other assistive devices are also permitted. You will not be allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star AllianceTM Gold member. If you're traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and bring a carry-on bag to the gate, your bag will need to be checked and you'll be required to pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge (payment by credit card only). Please see the Carry-on Baggage page for more information.

RoamsAround Oct 1st, 2017 10:58 AM

ms-go - thanks, you are so right. My mind was thinking "Premium" but fingers didn't type it.

TDudette Oct 2nd, 2017 05:31 AM

Thanks, I finally saw the 17!@#$.

Is there a payment included in PREMIER?

Seamus Oct 4th, 2017 03:34 PM

<<<i> Is there a payment included in PREMIER?</i>>>

Not really - it is a status earned in the frequent flyer program based on miles flown and money spent, and is recalculated annually. You could get many of the perks by getting (for an annual fee) one of the Chase issued affinity cards.

If you wish to take more than the allotted personal item you will pay for it. May well end up paying more than if you had bought the class of ticket just above the Basic Economy fare.

J62 Oct 4th, 2017 03:37 PM

On a recent UA flight the gate agents were quite strict about the number of items being carried on. Even those in the early groups were strictly limited to one carryon/one personal item.

The seemed to care less about the size of the personal item, more about the count.

TDudette Oct 5th, 2017 03:00 AM

Again, thanks. The <I>special</I> economy fare does indeed preclude anything but one personal carry-on. It has to fit under the seat.