Huge problem with Air Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On July 5th, 2013 I booked 2 one way tickets from Phnom Penh to Bangkok for 08:45 am for January 29th, 2014. Charged $265 to my credit card. On December 2 I get an e-mail stating since OCTOBER 1st to March 29th this flight FD2773 has been cancelled-no reason why. I'm told we have been moved to flight FD2777 which departs at 1710 hours or 9 hours later! I never approved this move. We need to be in Bangkok before 3 pm and AA has only this 1 evening flight. I'm told that in the event of such a flight cancellation I have 3 options of recourse and I choose option c) Obtain a FULL REFUND within 45 working days. I choose that and process my request via AA online feedback form as directed. I get a case # on December 4 and then a denial of my request on December 24. Reason for denial-my request doesn't meet the criteria but the criteria isn't explained. I have it in writing that I could get a FULL REFUND. Now I submit a complaint via online and again I wait. I'm at the end of my rope trying to resolve this. We are leaving the US for Siem Reap on January 4th!!!! I have 4 other flights booked with AA and now I'm a nervous wreck thinking one or all of them will suffer the same fate at the last minute. I go to AA Facebook page and see lots of complaints about customer service. I post on FB. Is there a phone # I can call to speak with Air Asia here in the US? With the time difference it's hard to figure our how to call them overseas. Any advice/suggestions from anyone??
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM
J62

Any suggestions? With the time difference, do a little research and find out what time is daytime at their headquarters, and call them at during those hours. Google "time in Bangkok." Not sure why you say that is hard, but ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Why are you a nervous wreck? The airline decided that they no longer wanted to fly the FD2773 due to some business reason. Maybe they wanted to use the aircraft on a different route - that's the reason it was cancelled. Flight schedule changes happen all the time with every airline.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Air Asia is renowned for poor customer service when it comes to refunds. I agree it makes sense to call them. Of course, they have no number in the US. Once you are in SE Asia, you may be able to get this resolved at a ticket counter if you haven't resolved it earlier. I'd suggest you just keep tabs on your flights. Air Asia isn't great about communicating flight time changes.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

J62-The reason I'm so upset is that in the e-mail I received on 12/2 it was stated that effective OCTOBER 1st the FD2773 was cancelled. I wasn't notified about this until 2 months later. I had to scramble to book a flight in the morning of 1/29 on another airline in order to make a connection. Rescheduling me 9 hrs. later doesn't cut it if you have a connection to get. When I booked this flight on July 5th they had several flights throughout the day from PHN to DMK. Now they have just this one evening flight. On TA forum it was suggested I take a look at their FB site. Then I go to their FB page to read about all the additional flights they're adding for Chinese New Year's travel. Hmmm-do you think that's maybe why my flight got cancelled?? I'm upset because in this e-mail I was told I could get a refund only to be told 3 weeks later I don't meet their criteria-what criteria-never explained. I'm nervous because I have another connecting flight with AA from Chiang Rai to Bangkok to Yangon on 2/10. Maybe your personality is more laid back than mine but I like things to go pretty much as planned especially when it comes to transport from point A to point B. When we traveled via air throughout China back in 2007 every flight was as scheduled-on time, etc. A very well oiled machine back then. I guess I expected the rest of SE Asia to be like China. That's my bag and I'll own it.

I know flight schedules change but to this extent?? My Asiana flight had a schedule change-all of 30 minutes. That's no big deal.

As to calling. I know the time difference because my daughter lives in China. When I try calling no one answers! That's why I was hoping for a US based #.

On FB there are tons of similar complaints. I should have checked them out but I wasn't aware they had a FB page. I just saw all the awards AA received and I know nothing about SE Asian airlines outside of the ones we used in China. My daughter has flown often with AA and has had no problems so far. I wasn't expecting this at all but I had a nice glass of red wine and I'm feeling much calmer!!

Thanks Kathie. I definitely will be keeping tabs on our other flights. We are in Cambodia for several weeks before our 1st AA flight. If nothing is resolved about my refund I will try to call them from Cambodia. I think they have a # to contact in Cambodia. Maybe they have a counter at the Siem Reap airport or maybe in Phnom Penh before we fly to Bangkok on the other airline I booked.

Anyway happy holidays to everyone and thanks for all the help I got in planning this trip!!
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM

I'm sorry to say that AA has some history of changing flight times by 8 hours or more with no advance notice. Lots of people love AA because they are so cheap, but there are other issues.

They should have a counter at REP as they have flights, and they should have a local Cambodia number.

Whenever I can I try to fly full-service airlines in SE Asia, Thai or Bangkok Air are excellent, but much more money than Air Asia.

Good luck, Chris. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Better than Air India taking us to different city without notice.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yikes! Sorry that is happening to you esp so close to your leaving on your trip. Hope you can get it resolved. It's a good reminder to check my AA flights.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Well the problem with Air Asia is nothing now that I have a larger headache! Who knew that leaving money in a bank account with no activity for a year or so could prevent me from transferring more money into it for our upcoming trip!! Now I have to have a dormancy letter faxed to me which I must sign and fax it back to Capital One. I use this account with a debit card on overseas trips. Problem is last trip was summer 2011 so voila-headache!!

More wine please.