Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   TSA question: Can I bring an empty bottle that's more than 3oz? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/tsa-question-can-i-bring-an-empty-bottle-thats-more-than-3oz-445311/)

GiuliaPiraino Oct 7th, 2008 12:22 PM

TSA question: Can I bring an empty bottle that's more than 3oz?

What are the rules for packing empty bottles? I have 10oz spray bottle that I'd like to take with me, can I pack it empty in my bag? For some reason I remember them saying a couple of years ago that you couldn't bring an empty water bottle across the screening point, is this the same? Have the rules changed?

NoFlyZone Oct 7th, 2008 12:59 PM

The TSA rules are specific. Bottles must be three oz or less. No exemptions for contents or lack thereof.

NoFlyZone Oct 7th, 2008 12:59 PM

You can, however, put it into checked luggage.

kayd Oct 7th, 2008 01:18 PM

I looked at the TSA list of prohibited items, and did not see "empty bottle" anywhere.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/air...ted-items.shtm

I have taken an empty water bottle through TSA screening and filled it at an airside water fountain on several occasions. Was I just lucky to have slipped it past the screener?

abram Oct 7th, 2008 01:25 PM

From my reading of the TSA website, the ban applies to liquids and gels, which must be in containers of three onces or less, not to empty bottles.

GiuliaPiraino Oct 7th, 2008 01:36 PM

Thanks, I would be really sad if they took it away, it's a special fine mist spray bottle I use for my hair, it would be a real drag if they confiscated it.

J62 Oct 7th, 2008 01:59 PM

I bring an empty water bottle through security each time I fly - about once a month.

I fill it up at a water fountain near the gate.

Brian Oct 7th, 2008 02:06 PM

I always bring a 1-liter empty water bottle in my carry-on. No one has ever questioned it, except one time in Belize when I forgot I had some water in it. I had to toss it. Oops!

letsgo39 Oct 7th, 2008 02:50 PM

The last 3 trips to Europe I have brought in empty water bottles with no problem.

suze Oct 7th, 2008 04:25 PM

I know people used to take empty drinking water bottles to save money, by filling after security check at a drinking fountain, but post 9/11 that was no longer allowed.

Has it changed back again? I didn't think so.

Gavin Oct 7th, 2008 04:58 PM

My wife got "caught" by security in Montreal with a part full water bottle. She drank the water in front of the agents and the problem was gone; no problem keeping the empty.

wally34949 Oct 8th, 2008 03:10 AM

They tried to take my empty water bottle away from me at LHR and I said, I thought we had a liquid ban--not a plastic ban. Enough said.

AAFrequentFlyer Oct 8th, 2008 04:44 AM

but post 9/11 that was no longer allowed.,

incorrect info. It wasn't after 9/11. The new 3oz rule came into effect after the Brits discovered a plot to blow up planes with a mix of different liquids carried on in regular soda/water bottles. That ban is about 3-4 years old. Nothing to do with 9/11. In fact you were allowed to carry on any size of liquid bottles for the 3-4 years after 9/11.

To answer the OP. The empty container rule or lack of, is very inconsistent. I have seen TSA confiscating the empty bottles and I have seen people getting it through as long as it was totally empty. I don't think the flunkies at TSA know themselves what the exact rules are on empty bottles bigger than 3oz.

Travelnut Oct 8th, 2008 05:31 AM

I've been holding smaller water bottles (empty) in my carryon with no problems.

Travelnut Oct 8th, 2008 05:31 AM

well "smaller" meaning 8-10oz for the size of the water, not smaller than 3oz.

txgirlinbda Oct 8th, 2008 07:10 AM

I carry my reusable, empty, aluminum water bottle with me through security every time - haven't had a problem in Mexico, Bermuda, the States, England, or Honduras.

suze Oct 9th, 2008 03:39 PM

Of course you are rightAAfrequentflyer.

ejcrowe Oct 9th, 2008 05:56 PM

txgirl, is it a SIGG water bottle you carry? I love mine!

And to stay on topic, I flew to my brother's wedding last weekend with my empty 0.6 liter water bottle and filled it on the other side of security. All I can say is that water in the Hartford airport tastes awful!

toedtoes Oct 9th, 2008 06:59 PM

I carried on several mugs and a flask - all empty - and nothing was said about them (and they did the full search of my carry-on bag as I had a picture frame that looked like a knife in the xray).

txgirlinbda Oct 10th, 2008 08:16 AM

ejcrowe - actually, I got a Klean Kanteen from LLBean - 27oz, raspberry pink!! It goes everywhere with me. I liked the look of the SIGGs too, but when you live on an island, you take what you can get - and LLBean was easier to ship in!!