Reload this Page >

Middle name on ticket different than on passport

Old Sep 4th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I booked a ticket for my sister and I used my middle name (which is my father's name) while booking her ticket. On the passport, her husband's name is her middle name. The two "middle" names are completely different (on the ticket and on the passport)

However, the last page of her passport has a field for "Father's name" which clearly shows the middle name that I used.

The first and last names on the ticket match exact as per the passport.

Do you guys think it will create any problems?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM

Personally, I wouldn’t want to chance it. Have you called the airline to explain and ask if you could change the middle name?
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have, they won't change it. The only option I have is to cancel and rebook. Cancellation charges are around 200$ (it's an international flight) and now the rates are higher for a new ticket. The agent on the phone said you can take a chance but it entirely depends on the mood of the airline personnel and the security people on that day. Not sure what I should do. Thanks for your reply though.
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 02:11 PM

No European guy writes a middle name.
I don't expect overworked people to check names with such consciousness.
And if they do, you still have, as you say, first and last name correct..
Quite often my name is truncated too (I've got a long name), nobody cares.
Seems to me you would have a lot of bad luck to be denied boarding. I would not bother.
However, I am not the one traveling.
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 06:17 PM

Because we had a similar that caused some problems, we do not use middle names. No requirement to do so.
Old Sep 4th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I am now thinking of taking my chance. Hopefully they will ignore it
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 09:19 AM

I suspect this is an issue related to surname customs in countries other than the US. Such as China, South America, etc., where the middle and last name are both family names, not given names. So which is considered the last name can vary. Because otherwise, why would someone even think of putting their own middle name as their sibling's middle name. And if the husband's name is now her middle name, that shows it is this kind of issue.

Also, this is apparently not a US passport, as there is no page on a US passport that asks for your father's name.

I don't know how confusing this could be to US airline personnel, if this is a US airline which from the USD figure, it appears to be, and it is a foreign passport.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 03:57 PM

In India, for males in at least some states, it is common for the father's first name to be the son's middle name.

If that is true for females in India, and the OP is Indian or Indian-American, then that might be why the OP put their father's middle name as the sister's middle name.