Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   TSA OR Global Entry (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/tsa-or-global-entry-1212359/)

susieQ122 Mar 7th, 2017 08:54 AM

TSA OR Global Entry

I am unsure as to whether to apply for one or both. I think the TSA is only domestic and the Global Entry is both domestic and International. Does anyone know how long it takes to get it? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

elberko Mar 7th, 2017 09:08 AM

I think you generally get PreCheck as a part of Global Entry.

Global Entry requires an in-person appointment at the airport, so if you live near one, and are flexible on date/time, it might not take too long. I recently got GE at PHL, and was able to get a appointment that suited after a few tries.

RoamsAround Mar 7th, 2017 09:23 AM

Global Entry is a program for US Citizens that you use when clearing Immigration & Customs upon arrival back into the US from an international destination. You can use GE when entering the US by land, sea or air. Once you have Global Entry you can update your personal profile with your airline(s) of choice and give them your GE Trusted Traveler I.D. number ) and you'll automatically be enrolled in the TSA PreCheck Program.

once you submit your application GE takes 2 to 3 weeks for the approval process and then you have to schedule a "personal interview" which takes around 15 minutes, however, depending on your location you may have to wait days or weeks to get an appointment for the interview. You can begin using GE immediately after the personal interview.

TSA Pre-check is a program which allows you to use a "fast Track" TSA Pre-Approved line when clearing the TSA Security Checkpoint at selected US airports when flying on flights operated by participating airlines. The Approval process for TS Pre-check take 2 to 3 weeks. Getting TSA Pre-check for any flight is never guaranteed.

Hint: Go to the FAQ sections the TSA and Global Entry website for completed information.

So, bottom line, Apply for Global entry if you do a lot of International Travel. If you just fly domestically you only need TSA Pre-check.

MmePerdu Mar 7th, 2017 09:30 AM

It's possible to be awarded the TSA Precheck designation by doing nothing. Every time I fly, for the last couple of years, it's appeared on my boarding passes, domestic & internat'l, and I've done nothing except be grateful I haven't had to take off my shoes. Maybe age-related and it became too painful for them watching me taking them off.

Global Entry is obviously something different, and there are others I'd never heard of which appear on this comparison chart:
https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart

HappyTrvlr Mar 7th, 2017 12:43 PM

Global Entry is $100.;TSA Pre Check(included in Global Entry) is $75. Get Global Entry. Once you get your appointment and interview it is effective fairly quickly. By the time I drove home from the airport where interview took place, 30 min. drive, I had been approved. It is getting the interview slot that can take time in some locations.

DebitNM Mar 7th, 2017 01:01 PM

TSA Precheck is $85.

You still need to do an interview; just the same as Global Entry.

The cost difference works out to $3 a year.

The days of "Free" TSA Pre check are coming to an end.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/days-free-t...ry?id=45199038

aliced Mar 12th, 2017 07:27 AM

We seem to receive TSA pre-check all the time too, but we always fly United out of Newark and at this point in our lives seem to pose no threat to the powers that be?!

Global Entry in northern NJ takes a few months; the application is done online, but once received, your interview, which in our case takes place at EWR took our friends 2 1/2 months to get! You must pay upon completing the application, so if you have a deadline, be sure and start the process many months before your trip.

At this point we have decided to forego this; we dont go abroad more than once a year, and after this Fall, who knows!

november_moon Mar 12th, 2017 01:06 PM

TSA pre-check is given sort of randomly to people who haven't signed up. I suspect it has something to do with expected passenger loads at the airports and an attempt to balance the security lines. It makes sense that a busy airport like Newark would do this regularly.

mjs Mar 12th, 2017 02:01 PM

took us 8 months at SFO to get an appointment

sassy27 Mar 12th, 2017 05:00 PM

I am in NJ and decided to get GE for the extra money since I travel internationally twice a year as well as domestic. I applied May 2016 and got my approval email in June followed by my interview in August. I went through PHL as I could get a weekend appointment there earlier than EWR. I live smack in the middle of both airports so it didn't matter which one. It was all so easy and my interview was less than 10 minutes total. I showed up early and was out by the time my appointment was scheduled for.

janisj Mar 12th, 2017 06:43 PM

>>took us 8 months at SFO to get an appointment<<

That was the situation when I applied (I think it was actually 6.5 months then) . . . so I booked my appt at LAX in less than 1 month and took a mileage run SMF to LAX and was back home in time for an early dinner.

surfmom Mar 18th, 2017 02:50 AM

Once we were approved for GE, it was a 2+ month wait for appointments. We went to the processing center (airport) on a Saturday night at 5pm ... hoping it would be slow. The agent who answered the door made a point of telling us "you will have to wait without an appointment". We waited... 5 minutes. Got all four of us done and were out of there with everything in about 30 minutes.

It was awesome not to wait for months to get it finalized.