Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Trying to find discount air coupon or voucher for military family.

Trying to find discount air coupon or voucher for military family.

Jun 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Trying to find discount air coupon or voucher for military family.

I am trying to find a discount NW coupon or other discount voucher to help a military family fly from ANC (Anchorage) to CMH in July . They want to visit their parents/grandparents with their new baby before he ships overseas.

We checked with the airlines and with the military discount flight is going to be over $1400 which they can not afford.

If anyone can help please email me at:
[email protected]

Thank you!
Jun 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM

My experience is that military bases have a transportation office that can offer information and advice about economical ways to travel. When I was in the service we could often get space available travel at no cost on military planes, but you had to find one going where you wanted to go. Of course, as I was in the air force, I was almost always at a base that had some flights, so I think I had an edge over those services that didn't have as many flights. I recall once a friend flew from Texas to Alaska and back, to get some king crabs for a party.

I'm pretty sure that space available flights are still being offered, but with the base cutbacks of recent years, it may be harder to get where you want to go. Don't overlook reserve and guard flights, too. I don't recall if Rickenbacker is open as a reserve base or not, but I think Youngstown is, and Wright-Pat remains active. Good luck with their search.
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

He is traveling with his wife and baby would they put him on a military transit?

mrwunrfl-They checked with all the airlines on the military discount, it sill comes out to around $1400 for 2 which is more than they can afford at this time.
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
LT

Hi Buckeyemom:

As you've undoubtedly found out, flights to Alaska are very expensive. Don't know if this'll help, but if they can get to Seattle or Vancouver relatively cheaply, they might consider taking Skybus from Bellingham (they'd probably have to rent a car to get there from SEA OR YVR) to CMH. But, be VERY careful before booking w/them . . . Make sure you understand what they're all about before purchasing a ticket.

If you pursue the space-A route, they might be able to get a flight into Rickenbacker, but I'd imagine that the closest they could get to would be Wright-Patt in Dayton. Don't know much about that option, but just pointing out that those are the closest military air bases to Columbus.

Here's some additional info for you:

http://www.military.com/Travel/Conte...erview,00.html

I hope it helps.

GOOD LUCK, and please thank your relative for his/her service.
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
LT

After my post, I noticed you're probably very familiar w/Skybus, & I'm assuming you've already considered that option?

If so, then I think space-A is going to be your best bet, as those "discounted" fares (bereavement, military, etc.) turn out to almost always be not much of a discount.

One other option might be Priceline, if they can be flexible.

Search this Thread