Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Trying again to get away. End of the year sometimes

Dec 2nd, 2013, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

I spent Thanksgiving at home and it was ok.
NOW I have another opportunity to go away for Christmas/new Year.
There must be some days when no one wants to go anywhere. We do not celebrate as normal people do, so we can go there when everyone is flying here...
Any suggestions? There must be way. My only must is the near water.

Thanks
Dec 2nd, 2013, 09:01 AM

Christmas Day is usually a "light traffic day" as far as airlines are concerned - all other days from just before Christmas through (for this year) Monday, January 6 will be considered "peak travel time" and planes will probably be packed as everyone and their cousin will either be going somewhere for the holidays or trying to get back home in time to go to work the next day.

The week following New Years airline passenger traffic tapers off a bit, but not by much. If you are asking this question to find out when or if you'll find bargain airfares during the week or so between Christmas & New Years the short answer is expect to find high rates.

To be of more help you need to tell us where "there" and "here" are?????? All we know is "there" needs to be near the water. Do you mean a pond, lake, river sea or ocean? Do you want snow, cold, warm, hot, tropics, populated, secluded, in your own country, a foreign country, etc.???????

What is your budget for airfare, how much time do you actually have?
Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:24 PM

OP, you neglected to mention your home city/airport, how many days you have, your budget, and what kind of weather you want.

Fortunately, I can read minds.

You should go to the Falkland Islands. Super long days this time of the year.
Dec 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM

Tahiti
Dec 3rd, 2013, 02:03 AM

Following your other thread - you need to go someplace warm and sunny with a minimal amount of effort in planning and logistics.

Do you want to sightsee or bask? Would an All Inclusive do it for you? What about hotel/air packages to some smaller Caribbean Island? I would think with Christmas being mid-week you might be able to catch a deal someplace.
Dec 3rd, 2013, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Bask..please...thanks
Dec 3rd, 2013, 04:25 AM

Tunisia. You can get great deals on all-inclusives.
Dec 3rd, 2013, 07:28 AM

Actually Tunisia was very interesting!! We were pleasantly surprised on a cruise stop. Not long enough but a quick taste.There is a beautifully kept up American WWII cemetary there as the burial site of desert campaign victims. Moving!!
Dec 3rd, 2013, 10:34 PM

Hi Sentrif

On Dec 24 there are some lower priced flights from Philly to Charleston, Savannah or Tampa. Coming back Dec 30 or 31.
Dec 4th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Tahiti? Tunisia? Never thought of it, thanks. Will look into it.
clark,
what site do I go to? Thanks
Dec 4th, 2013, 05:57 AM

I used lastminute.de for booking my dirt cheap vacation to Tunisia earlier this year. I doubt it will work for you.
Dec 4th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Ooops. Meant to add that you can use lastminute.de to book your trip but you'll need to find a way to get to the airport in Germany.
Dec 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM

What about a cruise? Vacationstogo website has last minute deals, but not sure if you will find any over Christmas.
Dec 4th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Her time share is already paid-for, she only needs cheap flights to somewhere.
Dec 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Sentrif....
U.S.Airways has an 8am flight on Christmas morning, arriving Charleston nonstop at 10am. Returning 3pm on New Years Eve Dec 31 and the fare is $270. However the average weather will be in the 60s.

Monday Dec 30 they have Philly to Miami at $270, coming back January 7 . Or Dec 31 to Jan 8, Philly to Fort Lauderdale is at $233. All these are for nonstop flights and these fares will not last long, you will have to purchase in the next few days. Non-changeable.
Dec 7th, 2013, 09:28 AM

NYT article on finding bargains over Xmas-New Years. the itineraries he talks about are above your pice range, but the search methods work for other destinations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/tr...tml?ref=travel