Travelocity? Beware!

Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Travelocity? Beware!

This was the last time I make any reservation thru Travelocity.... I posted here before how they sold me a quadruple room in a Frankfurt airport hotel that has only double rooms...

Months ago I made a reservation for a RT ticket ORD-IAH (Houston) with United. Tuesday evening I learned that I would need to stay there for a few more days. I checked Travelocity and found out my RT fare went DOWN exactly $100. Actually, any of my optional return dates had the same fare, $100 less than what I paid... I called Travelocity to check about changing my return flight. The first agent told me since the fare went down I will only be charged $120 penalty. I thanked her but didn't have the exact return date yet. An hour later I called again, got India on the line. The agent told me I need to pay $180 penalty. I told him an hour earlier it was $120, and the fares have not change. He couldn't explain, nor offer anything less than a $180 penalty. I hung up and redialed. India again tells me I must pay $173.35 penalty. I hung up and went to bed.

Next morning I called Travelocity again, the morning shift must be "pure American".... The person (couldn't figure out if it was a male or female) is telling me I need to pay $670.01. I ask him/her how did he/she get to that crazy number, when fares are still $100 lower than what I paid. He/she starts explaining that the ONE WAY ticket Houston to Chicago cost.... Wait, I purchased a RT ticket, why are you talking about one way? "That's 'cause you're changing only one way" he/she says. "But let me suggest this, I'll CANCEL your reservation, you will get the credit for the full money applied towards the new reservation, and you pay nothing extra." I hung up.

I called United. The agent changed the return flight, charged me $95 penalty plus a $25 fee. Took 5 minutes.

Travelocity? Sorry, never again!
Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

Good warning - thanks. I always try to book directly with the airline.

Good to know you can still get great service from UAL - clearly show how much US based airlines care about passengers.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Ha... United did the basic thing, efficiently and professionally. Its simple basic good service.

Travelocity employs people who know NOTHING about the business... I didn't mention it, but Travelocity offers cheap travel insurance as almost an integral part of making a reservation. I bought, it was cheap enough, and making the reservation 4 months ahead, one never knows.... The "morning agent" responding to my anger when quoting $670.01, telling me "you know, you have travel insurance, you could make a claim, so you can recover the extra expenses because of the need to change your return flight"....

Total idiot.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM

Best thing to do is file a fraud dispute/merchant reversal

on your Credit Card what I do.

You will get immediate reversal of charge and free

investigation if things are as you say u will get

most or all of your money back.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:04 AM

Sounds though like you made the change hence violating your contract of carraige you have to pay a change fee to do that.
If you booked a room for 4 that only held 2 u might get some
relief there.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

The story with the quad room appears in another thread of mine, months ago. I didn't mention which company I used, but this time it was just too much, so I decided I will reveal the name.

Travelocity paid for the extra double room when I approached them, after calling Germany, talking to the hotel.

I'm not sure the hotel issue and this latest issue can be defined as fraud.... Bad service, unprofessional, stupid agents yes, not fraud.
Jul 26th, 2011, 07:27 AM

...I agree and I can't imagine how frustrating this was with an international reservation.

100% bad service here, too, for a much simpler reservation to a beach hotel nearby. I simply needed to cancel the reservation nearly 20 days before my trip. Even though I logged into the website, it somehow "couldn't find my trip". So called "customer service" which is a joke. 20 minutes on hold and an agent finally answers (obviously outsourced customer service), who is unable to cancel, he is going to connect me to NEXTTRIP who can. I ask "what is the number if I lose the connection" and he says "the same number" Ridiculous. So I hung up after another 5 minutes on hold. I finally called the hotel directly and explained the situation and the horrible customer service, and she said "I hear you....next time please call us directly". That sure sums it up.
Jul 29th, 2011, 10:34 AM
LT

The thing I hate about Travelocity is that when looking at a fare, the fare initially quoted almost always ends up being more. Orbitz & Expedia are WAY better.