traveling with a guitar

Jun 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

traveling with a guitar

Daughter is flying coast to coast on Continental via Cleveland and wants to take her guitar (she is going to be a summer camp counselor for 2 months so gotta have a guitar!)
I'm assuming she should check it in (we'll pay the 2nd bag fee). Hubby thinks we need to buy her a new guitar case that can handle being checked in. Any experience any of you can share would be much appreciated.
Jun 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Do not check anything that's of importance. And a guitar definitely is one.

"Carried on Board

A small musical instrument can be carried on as a personal item. If the musical instrument appears too large or irregularly shaped to fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment, it will not be accepted for in cabin stowage."
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM

I checked an acoustic guitar last March flying coast to coast. Guitar was in a sturdy hard case that I felt comfortable with. Traveled round trip with no problems or damage. But the guitar was not that valuable or of great sentimental value to me; if lost or damaged, I wouldn't have been heartbroken, just would have wanted to see it replaced.
Jun 4th, 2009, 11:14 PM

<<< (she is going to be a summer camp counselor for 2 months so gotta have a guitar!) >>>

It's a legal / contractual requirement to have a guitar????
Jun 5th, 2009, 05:16 AM

BTW am I alone in wanting to run away very fast or use extreme violence when someone turns up on holiday with a guitar as in the past the only common factor between such people is a total lack of musical ability
Jun 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Regarding "running away from someone with a guitar" - she's 18, this is a summer camp, and her "kids"in her cabin will be 8-10 year olds and of course they will want to "sing" around the campfire! Anyway,
thanks for responses. I wasn't sure if a guitar was considered a "small musical instrument" for carry on purposes. Also, since she has to change planes I was thinking it might be cumbersome for her to be carrying. It is not a super expensive guitar so maybe we will see how expensive a sturdy guitar case for check in might be. Thanks!
Jun 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM

If she checks the guitar in a case, just make sure the guitar itself doesn't bounce around inside. My case was a bit too big for the guitar, so I put some clothes around the neck to stop it from moving around inside.
Jun 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic tip Andrew and surely she will have extra clothes needing to be packed! Did you buy a special case for travel? I was just curious of a ballpark cost for such a thing.
Jun 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I often see people bringing a guitar onto the plane as their carry-on. That would be my 1st choice. If you are going to check it thru, you need to buy a special, much more sturdy case for that.
Jun 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM

When my SIL check his guitar he uses a strong flight case, but it is quite a valuable guitar. A strong hard case should be okay.
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM

I got an acoustic guitar as a gift years ago; the guitar is now gone but I still have the hard case that came with it. So that's what I use with my current guitar. I have no idea what the case cost, but it doesn't seem expensive. It has padding inside, which is helpful.

nelsonian, I think your SIL is nuts to check an valuable guitar on a plane. Here in Portland we recently had exposed a theft ring at the airport where luggage handlers were stealing luggage or things out of it - for years. I can see how a valuable guitar could disappear quite easily - and it's unlikely your SIL would get anywhere near its value.

I too have seen people bring guitars on board planes, but I usually have a laptop and carry-on bag so it's hard for me to carry that on, too. (Especially now that you can bring only one carry-on on board.)