Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Albany New York 12/26 in 24 hours

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for insights with traveling to Albany New York. We are picking up a puppy, purchased in January... now this. I arrive on the 26th and leave on the 27th. Do I need to quarantine if I'm in New York for less than 24 hours? It's difficult finding answers with a moving target. Any insights, please.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you coming from and going back to?
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 06:48 AM

It depends on where you live and the rules for that time frame which change often. I live in Fl and have to quarantine 14 days if entering
NY. Albany is the airport I fly into and then rent a car and drive to the Adirondacks. The numbers are escalating again in the region. My family live there. Coming home to Fl we can do anything we want since we follow herd immunity rules.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
Where are you coming from and going back to?
Iím coming from Los Angeles to Albany New York, headed back Los Angeles in less than 24 hours.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 08:33 AM

One time I picked up a dog in Baltimore and my friend met me at the airport so I didn't even have to leave. I got on a flight and flew back home. Maybe the breeder would do that for you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuvtoTRAVEL42 View Post
I'm looking for insights with traveling to Albany New York. We are picking up a puppy, purchased in January... now this. I arrive on the 26th and leave on the 27th. Do I need to quarantine if I'm in New York for less than 24 hours? It's difficult finding answers with a moving target. Any insights, please.
Originally Posted by Macross View Post
One time I picked up a dog in Baltimore and my friend met me at the airport so I didn't even have to leave. I got on a flight and flew back home. Maybe the breeder would do that for you.
Great idea, was it during COVID?
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 12:06 PM

well, aside from CA, you aren't allowed into NY without quarantining at least 3 days upon arrival AND have a negative test before coming, in addition.

I agree you should get the dog at the airport, definitely.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights, it appears the only avenue is to fly in and out the same day and have the dog delivered to the airport in that window.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 12:38 PM

Yes, best idea. Be sure to have animal transport arrangements including a carrier arranged with the airline in advance plus arrange all details of pickup location within the airport and animal transfer to the airline's custody. It may be possible for the donor to transfer the dog to the airline directly.
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 04:33 PM
J62

The official NYS requirements can be found here

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

It does not call out any exemption from the testing or quarantine requirements if you are in the state for less than 24hrs. Quarantine means not being anywhere in publc, no contact with anybody, including not meeting someone to pick up the dog. "The individual must not be in public or otherwise leave the quarters that they have identified as suitable."

You can contact the state by email to request an exemption. They are good at getting back to you same day (m-f), but are not liberally granting exemptions. The one case I know of where they did was for someone arriving in the state as a caregiver. They were still required to get the test before coming, and one on day 4 after arrival, but were allowed to be with the care receiver sans quarantine.

[email protected]

All persons arriving in NY, regardless of mode of transportation, are required to fill out the traveler form - link found on the link i posted above. This includes an attestation.
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 04:34 PM
J62

I posted a response but since it has a link to the NY state requirements it needs approval by the mods so who knows when it'll show up.
Here's the NY State site (no link). There is no exemption from the quarantine requirement for your case, and quarantine means not being out in public. (and not meeting someone to pick up the dog)....

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 04:43 PM
J62

Originally Posted by LuvtoTRAVEL42 View Post
Thank you all for your insights, it appears the only avenue is to fly in and out the same day and have the dog delivered to the airport in that window.
I disagree. There is no exemption from quarantine if you come and go in the same day. The requirement is that you MUST quarantine. That means not being in public, and not meeting someone to pick up the dog.

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 07:26 PM

You could call and talk to Albany airport. People land in Albany and connect and never quarantine. You should have an airline the puppy can ride under seat with you in cabin.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 05:43 AM

Traveling to USA12/26 in 24 hours

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 06:06 AM

Didn't you post this same question using a different screen name just a week ago? On that thread you got several answers and suggestions. Here's the link: Traveling to Albany New York 12/26 in 24 hours
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 08:33 AM

I guess they thought if they posted it again they might get answers they like better.
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 09:50 AM
J62

There is no exemption for anyone who is in the state for less than 24 hrs. You must quarantine, which means not being out in public ANYWHERE. That includes not meeting the dog owner to hand it off to you.

You can contact the state by email to request an exemption. They are good at getting back to you same day (m-f), but are not liberally granting exemptions. The one case I know of where they did was for someone arriving in the state as a caregiver. They were still required to get the test before coming, and one on day 4 after arrival, but were allowed to be with the care receiver sans quarantine.
email to: [email protected]

Old Dec 10th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Forum Moderator

We have merged two threads asking the same questions
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 09:39 AM

I still think the puppy could be brought into the airport, handed off and you fly out. Don't leave. There are connecting flights every day at Albany airport.They land from other states but get on another plane and leave. Common sense please.
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 04:07 PM
J62

I'm sorry Marcoss, but Alb is not a connecting airport these days. All flights into or out of ALB come from either a hub (Detroit, Atlanta, Washington, Newark, Chicago, Baltimore, Charlotte, or Philadelphia), or a few point to point flights to Florida.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information