Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling from WAS to Paris, France in June- when to book flight? is $1500 RT/Direct a good fare?

Traveling from WAS to Paris, France in June- when to book flight? is $1500 RT/Direct a good fare?

Mar 4th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Right now, the cheapest direct flight I am finding is about $1500 or so. I havent been to Europe since 2004, so I thought I would check with you experts to see if this was the new normal or if this is very high. It seems high to me, but we want direct flights and it is June....We would be travelling from Washington Dulles and our vacation would be June 19-June 24.

Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM

That seems high to me, but airfares have been crazy this pst year or two. Two years ago we flew direct nonstop to CDG in about the same timeframe and had to pay $1200 which I thought high at the time. We paid $900 for a winter fare this year. I'd keep watching it and hope for a sale that might bring the fare down a couple hundred. good luck!
Mar 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Sounds high, but on United site, I'm seeing fares about $1400+ for Newark to Paris in July! We fly ORD to Zurich next week for under $1000 (on Swiss...ugh... really hate their lack of leg/knee room).
Mar 5th, 2013, 07:32 AM

It seems a bit high to me, but that is the high season, when fares are high.

You might see if you can change your vacation length; I sometimes find a ticket for a two week period is materially less than one for one week, or shorter. Ah, the joys of being retired.
Apr 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM

I'm giving this post a bump (rather than start a new one) since I'm in the same boat. I'd been guessing that at some point prices might drop, especially since June's not quite what July and August are, but so far nothing. Perhaps $1,500 is the new norm. I know no one has a crystal ball but I'm starting to wonder whether I should bite the bullet and buy or whether it's worth waiting another three or four weeks just to see if any lower fares are offered.
Apr 12th, 2013, 04:59 PM

Wow! that's really high. Hard to imagine fares going higher than $1500 -- I would wait, but I'm a bit of a gambler.
Apr 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM

People-June IS high season along with July and August.Most flights to Europe start flying full by May and continue to October.
All of my international flights that I have worked for the past 4 1/2 weeks to Europe have been totally full-whether it was Rome or London?
Apr 14th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Yes, too true. I fly to Paris every year at about the same time frame: sometimes I can just squeek in to a shoulder date, but usually it is that 'high season' high price....and this year does appear to be worse than usual. Would you consider a stop-over ? That might reduce the cost.

Bon Chance, and do let us know your final result.
Apr 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM

Thanks. I certainly would consider a stop-over if it lowered the cost enough to compensate for the cost of 1-2 extra nights in a hotel room -- are you aware of any offers like this?
Apr 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Don't know the relevant dates for these prices but I just got an email re: SAS flights from various cities. You might want to check this out.