Traveling - AVOID American Airlines - especially for International travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally post asking questions, but thought I would post to let people know that AA's service, especially on international routes, has gone from being OK to being horrific.

I travel weekly for work, and will never travel AA again if I have a choice - I would rather take multiple connections than AA straight thorough, and as far as international flights - NO WAY!

To date, I have yet to get my miles for my trip to Paris - 5014 miles. I have called, written, emailed and faxed, and nothing. I finally got a supervisor named Julie who was SO rude and refused to help me that I asked to speak to her supervisor, and also for her name/emp ID to file a complaint. Her response, hang up on me. I call again, get her again, get hung up on again. Complete lack of professionalism. Oh, and still no miles - yet the reason I have not got them changes with each agent I speak with.

Onto the flight itself - outbound to Paris the plane was filthy - I even refused to use the restrooms it was so bad, old trash stuffed in the seat in front of me, no movies, and this is the first international flight I have ever been on that they charged for wine/beer! One inedible meal the entire flight (9 hours) - it was cold, and tasted awful.

Coming home was even worse (which I did not think was possible). Still charging for wine/beer, requested water multiple times yet never got it, the flight was FREEZING - I had on a sweater, wool coat, scarf, gloves and 2 blankets, and still was freezing, as was everyone in my section. The people in the row ahead of me asked if the heat could be turned up, and the flight attendants refused. I heard multiple people after that complain and nothing was done. We actually had 2 meals - WOW! - but one was once again supposed to be hot, but served cold, and the other was just gross - worse airline food I have ever had. I could not wait to get off that flight!

Domestic service is just as bad - expensive snacks, with no healthy options, both my flights were an hour late to get to the final destination, and rude staff.

Just a warning to travelers - their service has just gone down faster than imaginable, and they don't care about keeping customers. Even if they are the cheapest, I would still pay more to fly anybody but them!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Specifics?

Flight numbers?

Dates?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM

You travel weekly for work but aren't aware that AA, along with just about all US airlines, have been charging for alcohol for about six years. Does your weekly travel involve airlines?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was wondering the same thing - I can't remember the last time a US carrier gave me free drinks . . . . .

That is just a small part of your issues - but you did mention it twice. That one really doesn't hold water.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Some transatlantic fares on AA just do not earn FF miles. They are usually the deepest of the discounted fares. Is this what you are up against?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM

What an unlikely coincidence that OP called AA call center and got same person each time.

And quality of airline food served sounds about standard these days, poor quality, cold, unhealthy choices.

Wondering what mode of transportation OP uses when traveling each week for work - perhaps private car where s/he controls heat, departure time, and can go to any drive-thru for more acceptable food.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM

Just arrived home on a round trip on Virgin Atlantic (JFK-LHR-JFK) and what a difference from the AA flights I've been taking...although I am sort of forced to use AA for my frequent flyer miles but anyway

1. Food was actually good (not great) served on a large try not the small try AA gives

2. Gave us an amenity kit with a bunch of things useful for the flight; no such thing with AA.

3. Drinks were on the house including wine with the meal.

4. About midway home from LHR to JFK served us ice cream bars.

If VS can do it, so could AA.

BTW comparing entertainment is like night and day...VS has over 40 movies available on the screen in the seat back in front of you...AA doesn't even have this on the old 767's it uses on JFK-CDG and you get I think a measly 10 movies on the 777 used on JFK-LHR.

It's just a matter of contempt, of course, for its passenger (sorry AA frequent flyer, the facts are what they are).
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM

I have to agree with this post. American Airlines in Business and First is quite good, but economy is the pits. The AA bean counters have cut and cut services in economy, and unless you plan to just sleep and not eat, drink, or watch movies, this is not the airline for you.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:13 AM

Price is a function of cost! Regardless of 'wants', the majority of economy class passengers opt for low fares without service embellishments (read the Fodor postings requesting: cheap, low, almost free fares). Cuts in service will accelerate as labor and fuel costs rise. Bring your own food..be prepared with layered clothing. Next trip use a recording device to memorialize 'unusual' service or cabin conditions. But! Compare today's travel options with those available in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Read, Michener, The Covenant.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Some transatlantic fares on AA just do not earn FF miles. They are usually the deepest of the discounted fares. Is this what you are up against?</i>

This statement is basically wrong; the only fares that don't earn miles are those that book into transatlantic Q inventories (generally consolidators, Priceline etc.) and are not even shown on AA's fare tables for Paris flights. All other flights earn 100% miles (in coach.)

I think the OP should send a written letter to AA customer service, citing flight number, date, his/her Aadvantage number, and as many specifics about the flight and post-flight experience as possible. Phoning is not enough.

The transatlantic market is very competitive, and the sort of service lapses cited should not go unrecorded.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks for clarifying, Gardyloo.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM

Anyone who is in Q fare, or any deeply discounted fare, gets the same service/facilities (or lack of it) as everyone else in their section. There is no &quot;you paid full fare coach so you get more and better&quot;.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM

I travel all the times for business as well - almost all of it international, and I don't fly AA because I didn't think their flights were comfortable, I didn't think their service was good - and I really don't like any of their hubs.... Other than that, they're great. I definitely go either Delta or United (or a partner), and I will always take a stopover versus flying AA. The only time I fly them is when there are no other options... Now, I don't fly American, but I think the food on the planes (when you have it) is actually not that bad anymore. They went through a really bad stage a number of years ago, but I find it to be okay... Also true that American carriers really aren't as generous with the whole alcohol thing like any of the international carriers (I remember flying New Zealand Air from Fiji to New Zealand and they tried to pour wine down your through - that really FABULOUS New Zealand wine, too )
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM

We fly American for almost all of our flights, and we think that they are a great airline. Just wanted to say that because, well, I hate to see the slamming that sometimes goes on around here. And because we have accumulated FF miles with them, we have been able to take several upgraded trips to Europe on AA in recent years. So I can't answer to economy on longish flights, but the service in Business class, food, alchohol and people, have always been excellent, IMHO.

And as far as their call service goes, we have always found them to be professional and helpful. Even this year, when we waited past our usual window to look for FF flights to Rome, my husband spent almost two hours on the phone while someone managed to route us to Europe, and with an incredibly helpful attitude.

I understand that everyone has preferences, and service is not always what one expects, but I also would hope that calm heads might prevail occasionally. Just my opinion.

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM

AA's customer service is excellent. Their Business Class service is superb.

BUT if you fly Coach, you'll get a better deal for your money flying most of the major foreign airlines... British, Air France, Lufthansa, Qantas, JAL... they're simply better.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM

I've generally had terrific interactions with AA phone service, reservations agents, FF folks, etc. Better than with many other airlines.

However......
It is depressing to me that some of their long-haul flights, particularly aircraft and AVOD capabilities, if any, can't hold a candle to that routinely now offered by &quot;foreign&quot; airlines. I've got a long-haul flight on AA to Buenos Aires in a couple of weeks and, in economy, they offer no AVOD, an older plane and little leg room. For that distance flight on most any foreign airline this would not be the case - yet AA is the only non-stop to BA from NYC so, I fly with them.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM

Gail you said &quot;What an unlikely coincidence that OP called AA call center and got same person each time&quot;. When I was purchasing FF tickets I called three times in one day and got the same person. I called back 4 months later to make a change and got the same lady. We shared a great laugh about it. I wouldn't be so quick to question somenoe's statements and/or imply someone was lying.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:18 AM

&quot;BUT if you fly Coach, you'll get a better deal for your money flying most of the major foreign airlines... British, Air France, Lufthansa, Qantas, JAL... they're simply better.&quot;

Well, yes and no as to whether it is a 'better deal'. For those that collect FF miles, BA, Lufthansa, and Qantas all give something less than 100% earnings for most of their cheaper coach fares. Air France has also recently gone down this road, though less aggressively. I can't speak for JAL. Combine the 100% earnings and AA's very good availability and very good off-peak redemption rates, and I think AAdvantage can be a compelling reason to fly AA, and can serve to make AA among the best overall values out there

And I disagree that Lufthansa is a step up from AA. I mean, between the tight seating and the lack of personal IFE, I just don't find them an overly compelling choice for the coach traveller.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM

Read the lastest comments about AA travel by clicking on this link:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/am_aa.htm

I like the comment that says, &quot;AA has to be voted the stingiest carrier of all times for the price charged. . .&quot;

So, unless you want miles, are using miles, or got a really good price on a ticket, I would AVOID American Airlines, especially to Europe, Asia and Central/South America. There are much better carriers on these routes.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM

Flying to Europe on AA Coach 4 and 6 months ago, I was under the impression they regard international flights pretty much like domestic... They serve a meal alright, but not much beyond, if at all...

Now, Business Class -- that was a whole different experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -