Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Transferring air carriers and luggage?
Notices

Transferring air carriers and luggage?

Jul 26th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Transferring air carriers and luggage?

Hi!! I'm flying alone internationally for the first time and I'm kind of confused about airline procedures:
Basically I'm flying Boston-JFK-Beijing and am flying jetblue BOS to JFK and then air china to Beijing. Since I'm switching carriers do I need to claim my checked baggage and go through security again at JFK? Thanks for any advice!!
Jul 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM

If this was all purchased as one ticket, then the JetBlue agent who checks you in at BOS should be able to check your bag all the way through and you won't see it until you get to China. Do ask at the time and make sure they do that.

You will have to change terminals at JFK, though, which means you will have to go through security again there.
Jul 27th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Even if it was not purchased all on one ticket, Jet Blue does have an interline agreement with AirChina www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/ so as long as you can show the BOS Jet Blue check in agent your Air China ticket itinerary they can check your bag through to Beijing and it will be automatically transferred at JFK. This, of course, presumes that you have sufficient connection time at JFK (minimum domestic to international connection time is 75 minutes according to FlyerTalk)

Search this Thread