Toronto to Europe - Open Jaw Prices

Sep 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Original Poster
Toronto to Europe - Open Jaw Prices

Hi all,

We are looking to fly from Toronto (YYZ) to Rome & Barcelona to Toronto in late May/early June. I have found non-stop flights with Air Transat for $846 per person. I am just not sure what to compare this to as we have limited experience flying to Europe. DH has flown to Paris but was business class round trip. We are aware that Air Transat is a budget airline with very few frills. We would be flying overnight on the way to Rome if that makes a difference.

What is a reasonable price for open jaw tickets from Toronto to Europe? Is there a better/cheaper way to do this? We would prefer direct flights but if the savings were significant would consider other options.
Sep 24th, 2017, 06:55 PM
>>We would be flying overnight on the way to Rome if that makes a difference. <<

Most flights to Europe from NA are overnight.

IME $846 is very good for that itinerary. Just be sure to read the fine print re additional fees.
Sep 25th, 2017, 04:26 AM
Easiest price comparisons can be obtained using It is a Google service for airlines so doesn't sell tickets but it displays a lot of information. I assume you want to fly into Rome and home from Barcelona, or vice versa. Air Canada has been the main carrier to Europe but WestJet is increasing its competition along with Air Transat.
European-based carriers could also be in the running, including Aer Lingus through Dublin, WOW and Icelandair through Iceland, AirFrance/KLM and British Airways through various European gateways, and some of the US carriers too. All would require changing planes, I think.That's a lot to sort through and on-line agencies that do sell tickets have variable efficiency; no one source covers everything. I also study Cheapoair, Hipmunk, sometimes Expedia. There are lots of others. Some provide the convenience of showing prices in Canadian currency.
The Air Transat fare you quoted would have been considered a good deal back at the start of this summer, if you quoted Canadian currency. Air Canada's Rouge brand does fly non-stop to Barcelona in the summer. It operates one non-stop a day to Rome and one, the Rouge flight, non-stop from Barcelona to Toronto.
That combo also gives the lowest round-trip fare, just over $900 for early June, plus assorted fees as you choose.
Sep 25th, 2017, 04:56 AM
I just found $876 on Air Canada to Rome (May 24) with return on Air Canada Rouge on June 6. Both non-stop. Personally I feel a little more cramped on Air Canada Rouge than on Air Canada though the data on Seatguru doesn't always back me up.

If you wait you might see a price closer to $800 but I doubt it.
Sep 25th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I have flown with Air Transat Toronto to Barcelona and also Toronto to Rome and back to Toronto from Venice. I have paid around $750 each time, I usually book 3-4 months out. I think it is a bit early to book but at least you have time to watch the prices.

I have no complaints with Air Transat. Baggage cost is included in the ticket, seats are ok, flights are usually non-stop ( don't pick the stopover in Montreal when choosing flights).

Search this Thread