Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Tips on getting 1st class upgrades? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/tips-on-getting-1st-class-upgrades-29925/)

Scott Aug 3rd, 1998 07:42 AM

Tips on getting 1st class upgrades?

Do any of you have any tips on getting upgrades to 1st class on flights? Please share! Thanks! <BR>

Stephanie Aug 3rd, 1998 07:40 PM

Depends on where you're flying, how full flight is, etc. My husband and I were assigned Business class seats to Germany with American Airlines just because we asked for a window seat! The lady behind the counter reassigned us, I had no clue until we got on the plane that we hit the jackpot! A great way to fly across the ocean! We got seats in Business class again on the way back for asking if there were any upgrades available. Not many can afford to fly business or 1st class to Europe(business class might as well be 1st class - we were wined and dined all the way there, big leather seats, lots of room) so there are a lot of empty seats up there. If you're going on a long or international flight that has a lot of business class seats your luck is probably good. Try it!

Sandra Engley Aug 5th, 1998 07:21 PM

1. Book Early <BR>2. Join frequent flyer programs, you will get cupons and specials info in the mail. Prefered treatment is given to valued frequent travelers first. <BR>3. Ask at check in. <BR>4. Volunteer to be bumped before they ask for volunteers. This has resulted in a first class upgrade two hours later then original flight, and a free domestic ticket good for one year. <BR>

Jackie Aug 11th, 1998 05:36 PM

Stephanie, I am confused...when you ask if upgrades are available, do you expect to pay extra for the upgrade?? Or, do they upgrade you just because you're the lucky person to ask at the right time? <BR>I fly USair and can upgrade with frequent flyer points plus $$ if there is any availability. Thanks.

Susie Aug 20th, 1998 06:55 PM

A friend of mine who is a Gate Agent tells me that when coach is overbooked and there is room in 1st Class or Business, they will upgrade passengers who are nicely dressed. That is, no shorts, worn jeans or scraggly hair. She also tells me it pays to be nice and polite and NOT overly demanding. It's worked for me! <BR>

Tom Aug 21st, 1998 08:05 PM

Susie hit the nail on the head. Dress nicely and be polite. Try and get to the gate a little earlier then normal and offer your seat in coach if they need it, in case the flight is overbooked in coach. Many flights have first class available even if coach is full and your offer may find you dining and relaxing in style. Good luck.

Bonni Aug 23rd, 1998 03:02 PM

I have my frequent flyer miles through Continental. Has anyone ever heard of this happening with them? <BR> <BR>

stacie Nov 30th, 1998 03:09 PM

I got bumped on my trip home from London this summer. And i was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and platform sandals at the time. My husband was wearing shorts also. So, the dress thing was fine for us. They had swtiched to a smaller plance because of engine trouble. We got there a bit early, and luckily, got bumped:)