Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Ticket Prices - Has Anyone Noticed (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/ticket-prices-has-anyone-noticed-486374/)

Techydude Nov 16th, 2004 11:57 AM

Ticket Prices - Has Anyone Noticed

One week prior to Bush's re-election I was looking at ticket prices from BWI to Colorado Springs. They were approx. 320.00 roundtrip.

The day after his election they jumped to 440.00 roundtrip and have stayed there ever since.

Are there other mitigating factors that may have affected this? And if so are prices expected to drop in the next couple of weeks?

Not trying to flame just get an idea if I should buy now or hedge my bet and wait.

rkkwan Nov 16th, 2004 12:44 PM

If you want serious suggestion about this, then cut the political crap, and just tell us what dates you're trying to fly, and what airline fares you've been looking at.

FainaAgain Nov 16th, 2004 03:11 PM

I signed up with a fare watcher, and getting occasional e-mails about prices going down.

Techydude Nov 16th, 2004 04:26 PM

Pardon me rkkwan for striking a soft spot, but I am only stating a fact.

I was wondering what other factors may have come into play that may increase or decrease the cost of airline tickets so I can monitor them.

Thank you Faina for your constructive reply.

WillTravel Nov 16th, 2004 04:31 PM

Prices go up and down all the time on various routes.

gail Nov 16th, 2004 04:47 PM

Last week the moon was lined up with Jupiter and Mars in the early morning sky. That is as reasonable an explanation as the one you give.

BeachBoi Nov 17th, 2004 04:33 AM

Techy....Airfares are so far at best, unpredictable.The one term I always notice when one airline lowers their fares:"in order to remain competitive".My steadfast advice to any traveller is constant:when you see a fare that looks "good", whatever that means, pull the trigger.I was in my TA's office last week.One of the agents had a customer who just wouldn't give up."Last week I was on Expedia and th efare was $200 cheaper".It happens every day.Is flying into Denver an option?Fares in and out of Denver tend to be lower, with America West and Frontier,LCC's competing.Just a thought.Best of luck.

CubFanAlways Nov 23rd, 2004 03:52 AM

Techydude,

I'll assume you are stating a fact about the prices. But correlation isn't causation, and your post did have every indication of an off-topic issue, intended or not. For that matter, gas prices dropped $0.15 in my area.

Not sure how long you planned on staying, but almost always, a Saturday to Monday/Tuesday is your best bet.

A quick look at Expedia, and using some Sat/Tues dates, found a fares from $242 to $296. I don't know if that's helpful, not knowing your schedule.

Good suggestion about signing up for "fare watching". I know United offers it and it's great. I have found fantastic prices this way, if you're ready to buy on relatively short notice.