Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on airlines waiving fees due to pandemic

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I'm somewhat puzzled by the airlines' new policies to waive fees due to the spread of coronavirus, in that it only applies to new reservations booked from this point (or within the last few days) forward for travel through June. It seems like it rewards people who are just now taking the risk and potentially filling seats on the planes. Full disclosure: a month ago when this was still "just a China thing", I booked three domestic flights for travel between May and July. I'm wondering why I wouldn't be treated similarly, because when I booked I had no idea of the spread of the virus. Those getting the waivers for booking now knew full well when they booked that it was becoming a pandemic. I'll suck it up, and likely still travel unless my flights are cancelled, but it's still perplexing. Or is it just a money thing? If they let everyone change or cancel regardless of when they booked, it would increase the likelihood of empty flights in the next few months?
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 11:26 AM

I think just now people are hesitating to make plans, so the airlines are trying to encourage people to go ahead. It is annoying to me though, because I might be needing to reschedule some travel that was booked a month ago.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 02:05 PM

United cancelling 20-30% of domestic flights, announced last night/confirmed today...... We flew home from CA two weeks ago to a completely full flight from San Diego-Newark, but apparently things have quickly changed and planes are becoming empty. Next reserved early May for Newark-Chicago..... we'll see what develops by end of this month.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 02:38 PM

We booked early Feb for travel in early June. We are sitting tight just now and hope everything works out for the best, that they don't cancel on us or we have to cancel. I will be thoroughly p1$$ed off if it gets cancelled, as this is a trip to see the grands.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 03:02 PM

Jet Blue told me they would rebook me and waive fees. My concern is that we got super cheap Virgin air non stop luggage and seats included for under 500 rt. If we have to rebook within a year there aren't going to be those deals and will have to pay the difference. We have two more flights while in Europe. We used CSR so hoping that covers it. Our flight was cancelled at Christmas and we could have taken the middle seats in the back of the plane on the rebooked flight but bought seats all over. That makes me mad. We paid twice for decent seats. They would do nothing about it. We were just thrilled not to miss the connecting flight. SAVE all receipts. Document.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

JetBlue is now allowing cancellations and changes without penalty for travel through April 30, regardless of when you booked. My travel starts May 2nd, so I'll keep an eye on this policy. For now I'm still planning to travel but would appreciate the option if it comes to it. (Refunds are really just travel credits, but as I usually only fly JetBlue, that's fine with me)
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 06:25 AM

I missed the Alaska Air refund cut off by being 9 days too early in purchase from where they have now decided to draw their line in the sand (Feb 27th and after). I book the cheapest Saver Ticket they offer knowing it can't be changed, but nope, I admit, did not see this pandemic coming.