Thank You Air New Zealand!

Oct 1st, 2019, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank You Air New Zealand!

We have been Airpoints members of ANZ for quite a few years now, and use ANZ for our relatively frequent travels from LAX to LHR. In the last two years, we took one trip to Australia, then earlier this year, we took a trip to New Zealand. We quickly went from Silver to Gold, and after the last trip, I was pushed up to Elite (husband remained Gold for reasons unbeknownst to either of us, since we have traveled together on all of these trips).

For our latest trip to London, I checked with ANZ to find out what flights would be open to get upgrades, as we were each entitled to two upgrades. The nice thing about Elite status is you can get your upgrade confirmed nearly a year before you travel, whereas with Gold and below, you are on the short list, but don't find out if you got the upgrade anywhere from a week until the time you are ready to board the plane.

For that reason, when we were off to New Zealand, we decided to play upgrade roulette (we were both Gold airpoints members at the time) on our trip back from Auckland to LAX, but book business on the way over. We did not get the upgrades and were pretty disappointed. Actually, we were really disappointed because at last minute our seats in the front of premium economy were abruptly changed, presumably because someone with a baby wanted to use the bassinet space.

For the London trip, I purchased a roundtrip ticket in premium economy on the days I was told I was good for the upgrade, and got my upgrade IMMEDIATELY as Elite. For my Gold husband, I purchased him a ticket going in business, and return in premium economy with an upgrade request. It took him to get to the gate this afternoon before being granted the upgrade, but he FINALLY got it! Happy campers all of us!

In terms of pricing, Air New Zealand is very competitive as well. I was able to score a round trip economy ticket for my son in mid-October to London for $440. The fact that he isn't nickel and dimed, but gets one free bag, meals, and free drinks (including beer or wine), and comfy seats, this is a bargain and, IMO, a lot cheaper than Norweigian Air.

So, thank you, Air New Zealand for your wonderful service and lovely lounges (except in Wellington, where they are doing a big reno!)!