Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Taxes Now Double Fares (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/taxes-now-double-fares-562682/)

xyz123 Oct 5th, 2005 05:22 AM

Taxes Now Double Fares

Okay did an airfare search for a trip JFK-LHR return in February. Fare is only $119 each way for a total of $238 right...

Well not exactly...taxes are now listed as $220...how do airlines get away with advertising supposed low fares and then you find out its 1/2 the actual fare.

They should be required not to put taxes additional in small print but to give the fare inclusinve of taxes in all advertisements and fare listings.

Patty Oct 5th, 2005 09:35 AM

Part of the 'taxes' listed are probably fuel surcharges. The actual taxes on this route should be approx $100. Fuel surcharges have nothing to do with taxes and should be included in the initial fare displayed.

Is this a fare on ba.com? I'm not sure how they're listing this fare in advertisements, but when I price it on ba.com, it does list the fare as $174 each way and not $119 each way as you go through the booking process. It's only on the total fare page that it's listed as $238 roundtrip plus $216.70 in taxes, fees, and surcharges. I don't see it as a problem as I know upfront that the fare is actually $348 roundtrip plus taxes.

Now if they're listing this fare as $119 each way in print or online advertisements, then I would agree that it's deceiving. The fuel surcharge should be included in the fare.

rkkwan Oct 5th, 2005 09:36 AM

Why can't they?

Last time I check my local newspaper, the Best Buy flyer doesn't list "with tax" prices.

Southwest has never included tax in its price list - you only see it after you choose your flights - and I don't recall anybody complain about that all these years.

wally34949 Oct 5th, 2005 10:02 AM

I heard next month the airlines will be charging a mandatory seatbelt usage fee. Expect a hidden charge of $200.

otto Oct 5th, 2005 10:48 AM

because the fare isn't the tax. just like jeans are $60, plus tax, etc...
a $400 fare to paris, or california or where ever, is just that...the fare. taxes are standard at the moment, and fuel (a surcharge, not tax) continues to rise and has an adverse effect on alot of industries.

lmhornet Oct 7th, 2005 03:34 AM

That's small potatos. I once booked a deal on a roudtrip flight from Toronto to Ottawa for $38. With taxes, it was $168.

Clifton Oct 7th, 2005 04:52 AM

It's kind of like my way of thinking about the value added tax in Europe or Australia. It's nice in that you don't have to stop and consider what the total cost is. If it's says 10 euro, that's what it is at the register.

On the other hand, I can see where there's resistance on the part of not only airlines, but retailers and the like, to not show people what the actual rate of tax is. It IS a cost of doing business, I suppose, in the long run, as if I can't afford the full price, with tax, I won't be buying at all. But when it's hidden, it's very easy for govt's to raise the rates and let business take the heat for it. I'm not overly pre-business just for the sake of being pro-business, but that arrangement doesn't seem fair unless it's a well know rate like it is in the EU. On air tickets though, and even with local sales tax rates, the numbers are just all over the place. I do think though that static fees that are the same on all US tickets should be included. That IS a cost of doing business, same as any fee a business would pass along to the gov't. Just my way of thinking.

Now the NW habit of advertising HALF a round trip fare, but not actually selling one-ways for that price annoys me. Essentially they're posting a price for something you can't buy at that price, even with taxes and fees aside. $150*

<i>Each way based on round trip purchases. Taxes and fees additional.</i>

FainaAgain Oct 7th, 2005 11:48 AM

Seatbelt charges? Good one, Wally :)

Have you heard they will start charging &quot;view taxes&quot; for window seats b(