Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Swiss Air Carry On Weight Limit - strictly enforced?

Dec 30th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone had recent experience with Swiss Air weighing your carry on?

We have booked United Miles, and United has the standard carry on size with no mentioned weight restriction. They have us booked for 2 legs on Swiss Air (Chicago/Zurich, Zurich/Nairobi), which has the same size restrictions for carry on, but has a weight limit of 8kg/18lbs. After packing a normal amount of things in my bag (clothing mainly), with tons of room left, I have already reached 18 lbs. I still have more to go, including my DSLR and a lens.

My bag is a Bric's, 9.5 x 18 x 14.5 inches ; 5.5 pounds (trolley). Nothing excessive in size and light weight for a wheeled bag.

Swiss Air also allows (as seen on their website):

In addition to the hand baggage, the following items are allowed on board if necessary
1 coat or blanket
1 umbrella or walking stick
1 ladies’ handbag
1 small camera or 1 set of binoculars
reading for the journey

If I have to, I will pull out my camera, coat (filled pockets, of course), book, ipad, fill the handbag, and check in, then re-pack the bag. But I would rather just have it all in my carry on.

It's probably just me, but doesn't it seem odd to allow a 45" bag, but if lightly filled, it is already several pounds over the weight limit?

Any help from fellow travelers would be great. Thank you so much!
Dec 30th, 2011, 07:59 AM

I have no experience specific to Swiss Air. The thing about your question is you never know in advance how strictly an airline will enforce a policy on any specific flight or even depending on the agent at the desk.

In your situation I would use a VERY generous sized 'handbag' and plan to have your other suitcase at the approved weight limit. (Doesn't really matter if we think a rule is 'odd' or not.)
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Hide it. Swiss isn't the worst, but they will ask to weigh a roll-a-board from time to time. If you simply avoid letting the check-in folks see it, then you should be okay.
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:47 AM

I've only flown Swiss International from the UK to Switzerland and never in nearly 40 years had my hand luggage weighed. Maybe they look at me at think well if Tipsygus can carry that it can't weigh that much.
Jan 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

"Maybe they look at me at think well if Tipsygus can carry that it can't weigh that much." hehehe

Thank you all for the good advice. We only see a Swiss Air check in counter in Zurich, and thanks to you we have formulated a game plan!
Jan 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM

Stuff the knickers!!!
Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM

We just flew Swiss Air in August to Zurich from Dulles and in return from Nairobi to Zurich and also Zurich to SFO. No way were they strict on the cary on!!! On each leg, people were taking the same rollaboards on board that we use here on our domestic flights.
Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Safari njema, Local2542! Can't wait to read about your trip. Welcome home, patandhank.
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Knickers stuffed and ready!

Thanks patandhank for the keen observations and welcome home!

Asante sana, Leely2!
Mar 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM

What bothers me is that I see the dimensions on Swiss are different from that of United. I also have a Orange County-Chicago-Zurich-Rome ticket, but United allows 9" width for carryon, and Swiss says 20 cm, which on they phone they said is 8" (although 20 cm is really a little less than 8 ". So how strict are they?) Anyway, that 1" means my bag does not fit. A lot of carryone rollers and even convertible backpack carryons are 9" wide. Does anyone have experience with this? I cannot take the time to check my bag.
Mar 11th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Are you flying on one ticket? If so, the European carrier my apply the same rules for baggage as on the international portion. Give the airline a call.