Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   SW Starts SFO Service (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/sw-starts-sfo-service-704511/)

dfr4848 May 12th, 2007 04:49 AM

SW Starts SFO Service

For those that are interested, SW announced last night that they'll reintroduce service to SFO on Aug 26 with 8 daily nonstops to San Diego, Las Vegas, and Midway.

Rastaguytoday May 12th, 2007 10:47 AM

Another location for a cattle car company.

Employees are great, flying on SWA isn't.

Gardyloo May 12th, 2007 11:05 AM

And yesterday Alaska Airlines dropped the SAN-SFO route.

Pretty likely Virgin America will make life miserable for SWA at SFO pretty soon.

FainaAgain May 14th, 2007 01:45 PM

Cool! Thank you!

We're flying SFO-LAS Frontier, cheaper then OAK-LAS SW. Now we'll be talking some real competition here :)

Norden1 Jul 29th, 2008 09:49 AM

For the life of me I can,t imagine why anyone would like flying SWA, once again I have made the vow to never fly with them again. Made reservations to Albany from Sacramento, wife tried to check in exactly 24 hours before flight(as was suggested) only to be blocked out, spent another 10 minutes calling SWA only to say we had to do this in person to verify her age. Like we want to drive 100 miles to do that. The SWA operator informed her this would be the only time she would have to do this. Beware SWA flyers

Paulchili Jul 29th, 2008 10:32 AM

Norden1,
You may be annoyed, but SW has many good features, not available on other airlines that outweigh some of their shortcomings.
For example, you can cancel your flight (with NO PENALTY) and "bank" your money for a future flight within a year. Try that with another airline - $ 150 PER passenger for changes and cancellations. To many people this is important and gives them flexibility if their plans change; and changes do happen.

scdreamer Jul 29th, 2008 11:08 AM

Why would your wife have to verify her age? Is there a senior discount?

Personally, I like SWA ... their fares and schedules are the most reasonable for me. I fly out of the south San Francisco Bay area, and usually go out of SJC (that airport is another story, though).

I always check in 24 hours in advance - have never had any problems.

FainaAgain Jul 29th, 2008 11:21 AM

Norden, maybe your wife had a discounted senior rate ticket? Wouldn't any airline want to verify that?

And why would you have to drive 100 miles? Is the aiport that far from your home?

Sorry, something does not add up.

It's been my personal experience, with any airline, first time I couldn't check-in on-line, only in person. After that, always on-line.

joethekay Jul 29th, 2008 11:38 AM

I am so happy that there are fewer SWA passengers. It was getting too crowded for me. Enjoy your flight of diminishing returns on your legacy carrier of choice while it still lasts.

Norden1 Jul 29th, 2008 02:29 PM

Sacramento airport about 48 miles from home, why would I want to drive to the
airport a day before, and then the next day. Yes we are seniors but it should have been mentioned when she bought the tickets from the phone person about the procedure. Anyway after venting about it I already feel better and it is not going to spoil my trip.(and maybe I will fly SWA again)

Jen Jul 30th, 2008 10:32 AM

"Enjoy your flight of diminishing returns on your legacy carrier of choice while it still lasts."

ok. You enjoy your flights to Europe, and Asia, and... oh, wait.

Andrew Jul 30th, 2008 10:45 AM

I love Southwest. I love that they have no change fees, that they have more legroom in coach than the "major" airlines (at least, on AA). I love that I can often get an exit row seat without paying more. And believe it or not, I love their open seating policy.

And their service is friendly and efficient, and they seem to care about customer service. Their employees don't act like they can't wait to retire or find another job.

Yes, it's a pity I can't fly them overseas, but most of my flying is domestic.

joethekay Aug 1st, 2008 12:30 PM

See the new thread about the legacy carrier, US AIR, charging for what Southwest still considers free- water!

crefloors Aug 3rd, 2008 04:12 PM

Interesting that Southwest is going back to SFO. They left because it was difficult to keep on time flight out of that airport because of weather of too many flights booked at the same time.

I'm glad they are back because the only Reno to SFO flights have been on United. We'll see how it works. It would be nice to have another choice because when I fly International, I always go out of SFO. There are not a lot of choices when coming home from over seas and having to connect from SFO to Reno.

AnnMarie_C Aug 8th, 2008 12:09 PM

That is great news as we find ourselves flying SW more and more.

Makes me wonder if the diminished schedules by other carriers and / or the death thereof created some space on the tarmac at SFO. Nationwide, I wonder if ground delays, tarmac congestion have improved, weather permitting, given the recent cuts in flights.

FainaAgain Aug 8th, 2008 12:57 PM

I dare to dream, and in my dream I see Southwest flights to Hawaii :)