surgical pins

Apr 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

surgical pins

My husband had a knee replaced and received a card to show at the airport in case he set of an alarm. I have a small plate in my wrist from a break. Do you think it will cause a problem?
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Maybe.

In theory, you will have to tell security and be wanded rather than simply passing through the machine.

In practice, you may just as well go ahead and walk through the machine and see if you set it off. It would not be a terrible idea to have a card like your husband's.

In actuality, I have inadvertently gone through security with all sorts of things in my pocket -- a cell phone, for example -- without setting off some machines, while others almost seem to react to my wedding ring. It is a toss-up.
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:36 AM

It depends on what the plate in your wrist is made of - our doctor tells us plates & screws made from titanium won't set off the alarms.

Regardless, setting off the alarm "won't cause a problem" but rather when the alarm goes off you are taken aside by the TSA Agent and "wanded". They will ask you a few questions and you'll soon be on your way.

As Ackislander says, it can't hurt to have a note from your doctor but it's not the end of the world if you don't have one.
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM

As A_Traveller says, it depends on composition. I have some titanium screws/pins from back surgery, and they never set off the alarm. But when I had temporary plates and screws from elbow surgery (made out of a nickel compound) they always set it off.

A letter helps, but you'll still likely go through the wand procedure.
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:36 AM

My brand new titanium tooth implant didn't set off alarm at IAH or OKC.
Apr 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. It's titanium! I feel much better.
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM

I was told my dd's titanium will not set off alarms..
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM

My son has a titanium plate in his leg which does not set off alarms. My husband's new hip does; he announces this fact to the screener and is taken aside to be wanded. He does not have a card. We just figure on it taking a little more time.
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I believe you're required to take all plates and pins out before going through security.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM

The card is virtually useless - anyone could make up an official looking card on their home computer. Their assessment - either thru metal detector or by wand is what will get you thru.
Apr 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM
P_M

zelphiacat

I have some metal in my skull which doesn't always set off the alarm but it happens occasionally. I don't carry any type of card with me, I just go thru the extra inspection and it's never a problem. These days there are so many of us with metal pins, plates, etc. and the TSA knows this.

Search this Thread