Star Alliance from SEASia to DC

Apr 19th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Star Alliance from SEASia to DC

I am trying to figure out a one-way ticket from anywhere in SEASia to Washington DC using UA miles. Where can I find the cities that I could fly to DC from SEAsia? thanks
Apr 19th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Well there are no nonstops from anywhere in SE Asia to DC, so you'll have to change planes someplace, at least once, maybe twice. That being the case, you can pretty much start anywhere served by a Star Alliance airline - Bangkok, Singapore, or smaller cities in Malaysia, Vietnam... And unlike other airlines (e.g. American) you don't have to rely on trans-Pacific routes between Asia and North America; you can travel via Europe, so for example you could fly via Turkey, Switzerland, Germany, the UK, whatever, as well as via Tokyo, Hong Kong or other intermediate Asian cities.

Just go to United.com, put in your dates and see what comes up, using various origin points in SE Asia. Let the robots make their recommendations.
Apr 19th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, gardyloo! I was hoping you would see this. I've decided not to do the RTW at this time. I'm going to follow one of your suggestions of using miles to get us to a launch point for NZ. We have wanted to go to Sri Lanka so that is a good start and then fly from SL to NZ. On the reverse, we're fairly open as to where to go to fly home. THinking Malaysia - have you been?
Apr 19th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
THinking Malaysia - have you been?
No, closest I've been is Singapore. Happy planning!
Apr 19th, 2019, 03:45 PM

What are you thinking about in Malaysia? I've been to a number of places in Malaysia. I don't immediately know of any place to fly from in Malaysia back to the US on UA miles.

For using United miles, also look at Asiana (via Seoul).
Apr 19th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Kathie- I was just reading about your time in Penang. I found a FF tix on Turkish Air. Roundabout route from KL with more stops than I like, but I may take it. This trip is a way to get to NZ in biz class for a reasonable price. I think we would fly in to Penang and stay a few days in Georgetown, then go to KL for a couple days before flying back home. Any suggestions for a week at most?
Apr 20th, 2019, 10:34 AM

We loved Georgetown, Penang and highly recommend it. I've been to KL a number of times and have never been charmed by it. There is wonderful food there, however. The public transport options don't coordinate well, although I heard from someone recently that had improved. If it were me, I'd spend most of my time in Georgetown, and spend an overnight or two in KL. You can take the train from Central in KL directly to the airport in 20-30 minutes. Otherwise, it's an hour drive.

Good luck in your quest for Biz class tickets to New Zealand!
Apr 21st, 2019, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Anywhere else in Malaysia that you recommend?
Apr 21st, 2019, 08:26 AM

How about Taipei? I remember crellston did a trip report on Taiwan.
Apr 21st, 2019, 11:15 AM

We loved Kuching, but it's a real detour, as it is on the island of Borneo.

I think it is a stretch to call Taiwan SE Asia. But I have also visited there and enjoyed it.
Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:33 PM

Go to the link below and scroll down to "Destinations network of Star Alliance® member airlines".
https://flights.staralliance.com/en/