Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Speaking of enough time at LAX ... (piggybacking on another thread)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying first class from SJC (San Jose CA) to PVR (Puerto Vallarta MX) on AlaskaAir - with a connection in LAX. First flight arrives in LAX only 32 minutes before the connecting flight leaves. This happened when they changed the aircraft from SJC-LAX to a codeshare with a smaller regional airline, and slightly reduced the original layover time. I called Alaska yesterday (our flight is next week) and they said 32 minutes is within the legal layover policy at LAX (or something like that), but should the arriving flight be too late for our connection, there are no other flights to PVR that day - so we would be stuck until the following day. Flight from SJC leaves early morning (6:30 am) which usually means less likelihood of delay, the weather forecast looks good, and supposedly the second flight is leaving from the same terminal as the arriving flight. We'll be seated at the front of the plane, so that's good. But even the agent I spoke to was a little surprised when she checked on the feasibility of this itinerary - since the second flight is scheduled to begin boarding before our connecting flight even arrives!

I'm trying to stay positive - hopefully it will be fine, but it sure seems like a short layover to me. Going to be very sure to pack a carry-on with extra clothes, since I am also wondering if our checked bags will make it. Geez, I hate travel stress.

Anyone else had this scenario?
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never had it quite that short but I have had 1-hour (gate to gate) transfers at LAX for PVR that I made in plenty of time. I think you are right to be concerned about checked luggage making it that quickly though.

Enjoy Puerto Vallarta... you know I LOVE it!
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 07:30 PM

FYI, there may be no other PVR flight on Alaska, but unless you are on a mileage award ticket with heavy restrictions you can ask to be put on a PVR flight on another airline (OAL). Often the agent will not tell you that you have this right until you ask.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 01:15 AM

It does not sound correct that 32 mins is the minimum connecting time, for domestic to international flight (or domestic to domestic for that matter). Since it was the schedule change that caused this & not a voluntary change by you, can you not ask them if they can rebook you on one of their direct non stop flights from SJC to PVR? Looks like there are some, depending on what dates you are travelling.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seamus
FYI, there may be no other PVR flight on Alaska, but unless you are on a mileage award ticket with heavy restrictions you can ask to be put on a PVR flight on another airline (OAL). Often the agent will not tell you that you have this right until you ask.
Thanks for that information. When I spoke with the Alaska agent by phone, I asked about that possibility, and she was vague in her response. We are going on a paid-for fare (not award miles), so that will be my go-to if there's a problem.

Odin - No direct flights on our travel date.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:53 AM

If you can't change your travel date, you could ask to be put on another carrier, it's up to the airline if they want to do that, it is at their discretion. But you are flying 1st class and it would save them the cost of an overnight.
If you do manage to get on another carrier, make sure your return reservation does not get auto-cancelled.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Odin
If you can't change your travel date, you could ask to be put on another carrier, it's up to the airline if they want to do that, it is at their discretion. But you are flying 1st class and it would save them the cost of an overnight.
If you do manage to get on another carrier, make sure your return reservation does not get auto-cancelled.
I think we're just going to get on the flight, and hope for the best. If we end up having to spend a night in LA - on their dime - it won't be the end of the world. We are going to be in Puerto Vallarta for a month, so it's definitely not the same as if we had only a short vacation ... and a lost day would have more of an impact.

And - suze, I'll be sure to have a piņa colada in your honor!
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 07:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>It does not sound correct that 32 mins is the minimum connecting time, for domestic to international flight <<

Not sure what you mean by that -- both boarding passes and passport check will be done at San Jose
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
>>It does not sound correct that 32 mins is the minimum connecting time, for domestic to international flight <<

Not sure what you mean by that -- both boarding passes and passport check will be done at San Jose
Yes, janis is correct. In addition, it's a very small terminal in LAX - only 10 gates - and the flight to PVR goes out from there, not from the int'l terminal.
Fingers crossed --- it's always an adventure, isn't it?
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

We made it easily - got off the first plane, walked five minutes to the next, which was boarding, and we were in our seats in minutes. Our checked bag made it too. Life is good.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
EXCELLENT! now ENJOY!!!!