E+ on United

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
E+ on United

I am a lowly Premier Silver on UA. In the past I could select a seat in E+ when I purchased my ticket. Under the new rules since the merger Premier Silver members must wait until check in to get a seat in E+. When I do online check in for my flight will I then have the option to change my seat to E+? Looking at my flight which is next week, there are currently about 4 seats available in E+.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes you will have the option if there are seats left in E+.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM

And remember that people in E+ will be hoping to get an upgrade to first, so I expect there will be more E+ seats available when you check-in online and once you get to the airport.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks! Good point, Kathie. Its looking grim at the moment.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM

I recently flew SFO-Atlanta on Delta. Luckily, thanks to FF miles, I had a first class ticket.

Both going and the return had a standby list of people wanting upgrades. Going there were 23 people on the list and on the return, there were 31. Each way there was about a total of 12 first class seats.

Too many FF flyer miles out there, with too few aircraft to use them. As best as I can tell, the trend is only getting worse.

As an AA Million Miler, I used to be able to get upgrades all the time. Now, after the Exectutive Platinums and Platinums are prioritized first, the chances of my getting an upgrade are slim to none.

The various FF programs have been severely devalued.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM

Too many FF flyer miles out there... Now, after the Exectutive Platinums and Platinums are prioritized first, the chances of my getting an upgrade are slim to none.

And certainly not getting easier, since AA is matching UA 1Ks to EXP--and there seem to be quite a few disgruntled UA 1Ks out there.

Good luck, yestravel!
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

It worked as described. Precisely 24 hours before my flight I went online to check in. There were 2 E+ seats that were not middle seats. I went to select one of the aisle seats and got a message the seat was no longer available. I quickly switched to the other aisle seat and did get it. Seems like checking in for UA will now be like checking in for SWA -- a race to check in to get an E+ seat. Thanks again for your responses.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Now I just thought of another question for an upcoming flight. For our flight to Italy I will need two E+ seats together. In the past u had to book the seats adjacent to one another if one passenger was not a Premier member. That will be case for this flight. My question is if there are not 2 seats adjacent to one another, will I be allowed to book 2 people in E+ at check in? Geez, this is really becoming a pain.