Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Southwest Airlines questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/southwest-airlines-questions-1075293/)

katybird Oct 7th, 2015 04:29 AM

Southwest Airlines questions

I am buying the least expensive fare .."wanna get away"...I will have reusable funds. Does that mean if i cancel the total amount I paid for the fare can be used towards another ticket? If so, for how long?

When I do online check-in for 2 people bought together do we each get a number or one number for both of us?

needmorevacation Oct 7th, 2015 09:47 AM

Yes, if you buy the fare and then cancel, you will be able to use them on a future ticket. I think it's 1 year, might be 2. Their website should clarify.

By number, do you mean boarding assignment? If so, both of you will get your own boarding assignment, since you'll each have your own Boarding Pass. Both people will need to be checked in separately.

RoamsAround Oct 7th, 2015 09:51 AM

According to Southwest's website (https://www.southwest.com/flight/pop...tml?airline=WN) if you cancel your "Wanna get away fares" flight - 100% of your ticket value can be applied toward future travel for up to 12 months.

If you check-in on line you'll get a separate boarding pass for each traveler in your party.

katybird Oct 7th, 2015 03:15 PM

Thanks needmorevacation and RoamsAround. I thought that was how it probably worked.

Do you think both of us would have boarding close together. Both tickets are on one reservation and we have just one reservation #.

DebitNM Oct 8th, 2015 07:57 AM

NOTE: 12 months from the date the tickets were purchased.

If you don't get consecutive boarding slots, just have the one with better assignment (lower number) move back with the other person.

Or, you can have first person go to back of plane, and take a seat. itusually fills up last, so there should be lots of empty seats. That way, your travel partner can easily sit next to you.

needmorevacation Oct 8th, 2015 12:51 PM

Katybird- boarding passes/assignments are assigned based on boarding time (except for business select which are automatically A1-15). Check in opens 24 hours before your flight. If you check in yourself and then your SO I would imagine you'd be no more than a few numbers away (unless you check in right at 24 hours out, then a few seconds can mean the difference between A and B!) even if your boarding numbers are far apart, you can still sit together on the plane.

katybird Oct 10th, 2015 03:32 AM

Thanks again for the helpful information.

We will check in at the 24 hr. mark and see how it goes!

Are the planes usually full?

DebitNM Oct 10th, 2015 04:16 AM

I have flown southwest a dozen times this year, most flights are full or lose to it. Depends on day, time, and origination/destination of the entire flight, not just your segment.

Count on it being full and if it's not, consider yourself lucky.

katybird Oct 10th, 2015 07:21 AM

Thanks DebitNM! I appreciate everyone's help!

Surfergirl Oct 13th, 2015 02:00 PM

If I make the reservation for both me and my husband, we get one reservation number, so 24 hours before, I check in, check both boxes to the left of my name and my husband's name, then click "check in" again, and come up with 2 consecutive boarding passes.

Sometimes, when we're using FF miles, or if one of us is flying to a destination earlier than the other, but both flying back on the same plane, I have to separate the reservations. In that case, I have 2 computers going at the same time 24 hours before, to check each of us in around the same time. Often that means we may not be, for example, A48 & A49 on the plane, but might be A48 and B2. Doesn't matter, since the first one on grabs 2 seats together.

For the most part, the planes are generally full. Sometimes they overbook and want to give you the sun and the moon to take a later flight. That happened on a trip from Atlanta to LA, but it was the 2nd of only 3 non-stop flights that day, and I didn't fancy getting to LA at 10:30 p.m., so didn't take it.