South African Airways frequent flyer

Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

South African Airways frequent flyer

A coworker makes an annual trip from the U.S. to Johannesburg on SAA and I have been bugging him to get a frequent flyer account and start earning miles. Finally got him to sign up and he found that the Delta partnership with SAA is terminating. Coworker said that that to get a free ticket on the SAA program that you need 200,000 points and you earn only a half point per mile. He goes to JNB for an annual rifle competition and we joked that after 5 years in the SAA program he might be able to get a one-year subscription to Guns&Ammo. Do any of you folks know if SAA is going to partner with another US airline soon? One with a better FF program than SAA?
Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM
sandi

Yes with Star Alliance - that's United's program, as of this past April or maybe it's this month. But it's Star Alliance, so in addition to United there is Air New Zaland, All Nippon, Austrian, British Midland, Lufthanser, SAS, Singapor, Thai, and others - contact United for details.

Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sandi! That is good news. Now, I am paying attention because I have a bunch of United and US Airways miles. I checked staralliance.com and SAA is not a member yet. At flysaa.com, a June 5 press release says that they (SAA) have received "observer status".
Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
sandi

Whatever "observer status" means? Guess for the time-being SAA is out there flapping in the wind!

And my guess (only a guess) is that SAA will give up ATL as a hub; maybe go with IAD which is a big UA hub. They'll probably keep JFK - but who knows?

Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Out of IAD would be great since we are in No. Virginia. He seemed to think it would be EWR, maybe MIA.
Jul 4th, 2004, 12:35 PM
sandi

We'll see whenever, but doubt they'd do both JFK and EWR as they're so close to one another, and I hate EWR. MIA sounds good. In fact on some current SAA flights returning to ATL, they actually stop in FTL (Ft.Lauderdale) to allow pax off only. But, we'll just have to see where they're given slots. Soon enough we'll know.