Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Soooo...am I being witchy to want more? (Airplane story!)

Jul 17th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Amy
Original Poster

I am having a smashing time in Prague and now Budapest, but the trip over was a bit of a nightmare. I flew what should have been a direct flight from Philadelphia; the flight was diverted to JFK two hours in as they have the longest runways in the area and we had of course all the extra fuel. So we landed to a full lineup of emergency vehicles, so that was interesting. This was about 9pm; we were taken off the plane and given a $12 dinner voucher. (Hee hee. At JFK.)

By midnight, they said they'd fly us out at 7am and the nearest hotel was at LaGuardia. I still took it, which gave me about 4 hours before going back to the airport...where the plane didn't leave until 3:30pm. Of course, this cost me a day in Prague.

In response to my message about this, AA sent me a $200 voucher for one of their flights. Is this reasonable do you think for a 20+ hour delay that was absolutely their fault, or should I keep emailing? (By the way; this was sold as a British Airways ticket "fulfilled by American Airlines", so I didn't know whether I should contact BA as well.

Thanks! I only fly one or two times a year, and this is the first this situation has occurred in such an extreme form.
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:06 AM

SInce you booked it with BA the EU rules may apply.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...-or-cancelled/
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Personally, I do not think that was even close to proper compensation, but I do not know the laws or terms of service.

I am glad you posted though.
1. Recouping for this kind of loss is what insurance is for.
2. This situation is exactly why we caution people not to buy a lot of flights on separate tickets if they can avoid it, even though they may save a bit of money over all. Had you had connections in Europe, with having to book new flights at the last minute, you could have lost even more money and time.
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:28 AM

BTW, it is one consolation that they discovered a problem early enough to land you safely. You can be very thankful for that.
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Unless you meet the insurance requirements there is no guarantee, believe me from experience.

TWO hours in? From PHL..that's quite a ways and yet you were diverted (I assume) BACK to JFK..WHY makes a HUGE difference since you used the term "their fault."
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
BTW, it is one consolation that they discovered a problem early enough to land you safely. You can be very thankful for that.
Yes, I really am!

Dukey, if you're familiar with the movie Airplane, the communication was about on par. I'm saying it's their fault because they sent out an aged plane with some type of problem (anything from "hydraulics " to a "bent wing". It wasn't weather, a strike, or an act of God.)
Jul 17th, 2018, 10:46 AM

This surprised me:

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations

There seems to be no legal requirement for an airline to compensate for delayed or canceled flights even those that are due to mechanical problems. Guess each airline has its own policies. You should be able to find out what AA's policy is and determine if they acted consistently with their policy.
Jul 17th, 2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Amy View Post

I'm saying it's their fault because they sent out an aged plane with some type of problem (anything from "hydraulics " to a "bent wing". It wasn't weather, a strike, or an act of God.)
I think it's very unlikely that anyone knew there was a problem prior to take-off. Amazing as it may be, the pilots don't want to crash either.
Jul 17th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Yes, I am well aware of that and am glad that the pilot chose to return. My point is simply that the issue was apparently missed the first time around--and was evidently big enough of a problem that they had to get us a replacement plane, although they originally said that they would fix the first one and continue.
Jul 17th, 2018, 12:01 PM
ira

"should I keep emailing?

Of course. If you don't ask they won't do anything.

I wouldn't expect any more, though.

Jul 17th, 2018, 12:15 PM

I've had too many unpleasant experiences with AA. I wouldn't want a $200 voucher as I wouldn't want to fly with them. Can you ask for cash?
Jul 17th, 2018, 12:28 PM

We just had a similar experience in Costa Rica with United. I was traveling with my husband, and they cancelled our flight out so they treated us to an amazing Costa Rican evening at the Best Western complete with dinner at Denny's. We couldn't even order what we wanted at Denny's - they had a special menu for us with only four choices. The kicker when we got home was that they sent each of us a voucher but for different amounts. He got a lot more than I did because he flies all the time for business and is an elite customer. I was surprised they offered different people different amounts. IMO it wouldn't hurt to email and ask for more, the worst they can do is say no.
Jul 17th, 2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nanabee View Post
I've had too many unpleasant experiences with AA. I wouldn't want a $200 voucher as I wouldn't want to fly with them. Can you ask for cash?
American Airlines is the largest US airline. In many markets, your choices would be somewhat limited if you automatically exclude them as an option.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:25 PM

Heh, I always assume the only people who fly AA don't have any other good options...
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by volcanogirl View Post
We couldn't even order what we wanted at Denny's - they had a special menu for us with only four choices.
Wow...a Denny's prix fixe menu! Fancy.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:27 PM

As I said if your booking was with BA not with AA then EU rules should apply, and you can claim compensation from BA under those rules.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Heh, I always assume the only people who fly AA don't have any other good options...
I go with the cheapest alternative for the dates and times that work for me. I fly AA, Delta, occasionally United and Southwest. I don't find a significant difference between any of them.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by kureiff View Post
Wow...a Denny's prix fixe menu! Fancy.
it's their tasting menu. they're trying to rebrand.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:32 PM

I would also contact them through Facebook (both airlines), sometimes you can get better response there.
Jul 17th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
As I said if your booking was with BA not with AA then EU rules should apply, and you can claim compensation from BA under those rules.
Thanks, Hetismij! There are a few things in that article that look as if that doesn't apply--flight origin, for one, and that you need to apply to the company who actually provided the service. It is interesting how different that is from the current concepts here.

The reason I chose this flight is, of course, that it was the only direct flight to Prague from my city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO