Paris CDG - Terminal 2G to Terminal 2E

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving CDG in June 2018 fm Atlanta. We arrive in Terminal 2G and must change planes to Basel, Switzerland at Terminal 2E. I've read old posts indicating there's a shuttle (yellow) from 2G to 2E. There is conflicting information as to whether one must go through customs, security, neither, or both. Can someone update the current status for me?

I have 1 hr and forty minutes to make my connection. Is that enough time?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I have 1 hr and forty minutes to make my connection. Is that enough time?<<

We can't tell you if it is or not since we don't know if you will arrive on time. But in general 1:40 is pretty short at CDG (it is a pig of an airport). Are these flights on the same booking or separate?

You will definitely go through Immigration but not Customs (that will happen in Basel)
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM

An added delay is the central screening for hand luggage in some parts of the airport. It could be tight and if your first flight is delayed, consult with airline staff as soon as you are inside the terminal.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:48 PM

Please check your arrival terminal. T2G is a small one that handles short range European flights.

Are you sure you do not rather arrive at 2E and leave to Basel from 2G ?

Concerning the transfer, I confirm the only way to go to 2G is through a shuttle, and it seems it is airside (red or yellow line depending on your arrival hall in T2E)
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 05:35 AM

Go here: http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passe...ecting-flights

Enter your Arrival and Departure Terminals info and you'll get step by step instructions on making your connection.

Whether or not 1:40 is enough time to make that connection depends on the actual arrival time of your inbound flight. I'd prefer a longer connection.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I've got my terminals backward! (Duhh)

I am booked straight through from Atlanta to Basel via Air France. We arrive in Terminal 2E and depart for Basel from 2G.

Since we're arriving from a non-Schengen country (USA) the procedures for security & immigration are still not precisely clear to me. If we have to go through Security, where would that occur - in Terminal 2E (where we land) or Terminal 2G, (where we depart for Basel).

and thank you for the link to CDG's connecting flight info.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Have you ever been to Europe? I am guessing not or you wouldn't be asking questions about whether you have to go through "customs" upon arrival. No, you don't in any European airport I've ever flown into except LHR (and that was many years ago so I'm not sure about now). You do have to go through customs in Mexico, also, and the US to some degree, but it's pretty minimal nowadays. At CDG, it is voluntary, you go through it if you have something to declare. You probably won't even notice it, but it is generally a small desk over to the side of the hallway you go through on the way to the baggage claim.

Of course, it is possible you don't know what customs is and mean something else.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 08:30 AM

My friend and I had to get from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 and CDG last October. The shuttle we took was like a "train" and it was very hard to find, the signage was awful so I'm just saying don't be shy about asking. We were wandering in circles and a man passing by asked if he could help, and I think without him we would STILL be there. LOL.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

been to Europe many, many times. Lived there (Germany) for three years (many years ago). And many years ago, I did have to go through customs. That got better with the green or red lines.

Visit Europe (or fly through on connections) almost annually. Sorry if my question wasn't worded correctly. What I meant was "immigration" or "immigration control" . Was last in CDG (visited France for a couple of weeks) in September last. Anyhow - My recent visit to CDG was pretty much limited to arriving and departing the airport at Terminal 2E (the walk from our gate to Baggage was very good exercise).

My concerns arise out of watching long lines for security and checking in. I haven't actually changed flights at CDG for a number of years - and then was surprised at the need to go through Security again after having done it in Atlanta and having gone nowhere except to my departing gate.

I now have to change terminals which must be done by bus - they two terminals are not physically connected. ! hour 40 minutes seems as possibly problematic. The next flight to Basel from CDG after that on which I am booked is eight hours later. Aren't many flights CDG to Basel. Having missed connections before, I've had to stay overnight because the next departing flight to my destination was full and had to be booked on the 2nd departing flight the next day. Not at all fun.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 08:51 PM

No matter how much one has traveled the procedures can change from trip to trip.
I can see why you are concerned -- bur since they are both on AF on a continuing ticket I would hope they would help you get onto another airline's flight to Basel earlier than 8 hours later. Well, we can hope.
I'm guessing you would go through immigration (for nonSchengen passports, as you know) but not have to re-visit security; I'm sure another poster will correct me.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cponeill
My concerns arise out of watching long lines for security and checking in. I haven't actually changed flights at CDG for a number of years - and then was surprised at the need to go through Security again after having done it in Atlanta and having gone nowhere except to my departing gate.
It's not unusual to go through a security check when making an international connection - in fact it is almost the norm now - at least for us. I can't remember the last time I had an international connection where we didn't have to go through security (at the connecting airport) even though all we did is get off one plane and get on to another. We've even gone through security and a (brief) passport check after deplaning and re-boarding the same aircraft when we had a refueling stop in Sydney on a flight from LAX to Auckland.