Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Sky Airlines - buying tickets from USA over internet! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/sky-airlines-buying-tickets-from-usa-over-internet-1129963/)

Philip Sep 11th, 2016 03:18 PM

Sky Airlines - buying tickets from USA over internet!

We will be in Santiago (SCL) flying to Puerto Montt. Want to make plane reservations online with Sky. They show 15 Classes A - Y. Very cheap to over $300 USD one way. Usually cheap is better on a short flight like this. Don't really care if nonrefundable if the price 15% of the most expensive fare. Just want to make sure that I have a good reservations without surprises. Looked on their website and not doing any good on a good explanation of fare classes. Anybody used Sky Airlines and any suggestions?

Odin Sep 11th, 2016 10:44 PM

The cheapest fare, which is A class, will probably be non refundable & non changeable.
The higher up you go the less restrictive the fare is. You will probably not see the fare conditions until you get to the confirm & pay page. The website provides a telephone number and email address plus Facebook and Twitter pages so why not ask them for an explanation of their fare classes?

NoFlyZone Sep 12th, 2016 05:10 PM

We flew that route on Sky earlier in the year. Had X class tickets for US$112.80 each, one way.

Sky would not take my credit card over the internet so I booked through Expedia and had an excellent experience.

Sky did make an unacceptable schedule change (by 4-5 hours) by cancelling the original flight ... and a couple of weeks later reinstated the original flight but would not move us back. Expedia provided superb customer service (over about 3 or 4 days!) and finally managed to get us back on the original flight.

yestravel Sep 13th, 2016 02:15 PM

I booked online directly with Sky a few years ago. Got the cheapest fare(dont recal the category)and had no isses. Flights were on time and pleasant.

Travelmom83 Sep 15th, 2016 06:56 AM

I'm not familiar with this airline. Could anyone tell me how they are with children? I always fly with my baby and know that some airlines are not as kid friendly as others.

Philip Sep 27th, 2016 11:38 AM

Thanks for replies. I did send them an email several weeks and they did not respond. I understand that the telephone number is Spanish only. Speak enough to get by but no more.

Anybody else with ideas. Otherwise, we are taking a tour guide in Puerto Montt and I think he can make for us. Looks like "X" may be a safe option.

mrwunrfl Sep 29th, 2016 08:59 PM

Do like Odin suggested and go thru a booking at the cheapest price to the point where the conditions and restrictions are shown. Read that and decide if the are acceptable - no change, no refund, don't take the flight and your ticket has no value - stuff like that.

Also see if you meet the conditions of purchase. I've read about some S.American airline that offered the cheapest fares only to nationals of a certain country. Might have been Lan Peru with special fares for Peruvian citizens. Non-Peruvians were asking what, if any, consequences there were if they bought the Peruvian-only fare. Or the ticket had to be bought in Peru (i.e. actually in Peru with Peruvian currency or anywhere with a card issued by a Peruvian bank.

Do the same for the X fare and the $300 fare to see what differences, if any, there are.

But assuming that all the restrictions and conditions are acceptable and you meet the conditions (if any) for purchase, then I don't know how a $45 ticket would be any safer than a $112.80 ticket. Worst case (at either fare) is you lose that ticket and have to pay the $300.

Philip Oct 15th, 2016 07:12 AM

UPDATE -- MAKING RESERVATIONS!

I did not say taking the flights -- just making reservations. Just made one reservation for 2 US citizens on their website. Used US passport information and charged to PayPal. Purchased 'X' class. No clue about the classes but saw other US citizens reserved with X. Was cheap at $112 for two. Slight problem with my personal email. Had to use corporate email address that had only one '.' or regular '.com'. VERY easy to make the reservations. Heard immediately confirming by SKY and also PayPal.

QUESTIONS
1. Can I make seat reservations?
2. Checking in - don't know how to do but would probably get my hotel in Santiago to help. Suggestions!
3. Will they issue boarding passes when we 'check-in'?

Philip Apr 28th, 2017 10:57 AM

WE HAVE CONQUERED AND RETURNED!

Returned to Texas last week. SKY was great. We had no problems.

NOTE:
Seat Reservations -- reserved on line before heading to Santiago
Checking in -- asked hotel to check in which they did without any problems
Luggage -- they did not weight my carry on and did not get charged for slightly overweight checked luggage