Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Should I try to get compensation? Continental or Delta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/should-i-try-to-get-compensation-continental-or-delta-510099/)

MerryTravel Mar 7th, 2005 08:02 AM

Should I try to get compensation? Continental or Delta?

I had a horrible experience last week while flying out for business. Our plane had an aborted takeoff due to a mechanical problem (we were speeding down the runway one second, then slamming on the brakes the next), and the resulting delay made me miss my connection at the next stop. I was not able to fly out until the next morning and the airline did not pay for my hotel that night, but offered me a "discount" coupon for a hotel.

I was flying on a Delta reservation, but the problem occurred on a Continental flight. I know that airlines are loathe to give compensation nowadays, but I think my situation was pretty darn awful and I would be happy with FF miles since I travel frequently on Continental. I have a feeling I'll get bounced between Continental and Delta, but should I try anyway? Any advice on how to go about it?

rkkwan Mar 7th, 2005 08:56 AM

You are probably owed something. But what, and who should be giving you depends on:

- Paid ticket or FF award?
- Who issued the ticket, and is the flight number a CO one or a DL one on your ticket?
- If FF award, what miles were you using?
- Home airport or somewhere in the middle of the trip?

And have you started contacting the airlines yet? If so, who and what are they saying?

MerryTravel Mar 7th, 2005 10:02 AM

--Paid ticket, but my company paid since it was a business trip.

--The ticket was issued through Am Ex business services. It's "Delta operated by Continental."

--The delay happened at my home airport. I was actually a little miffed that they didn't check my connection so I could have just slept in my own bed that night. I had my husband check on flights out of my connecting airport to my destination while I was waiting (we weren't allowed to leave the plane, but we could use our phones) and he saw flights. Don't know what happened to those.

I haven't contacted anyone yet...I wanted some opinions from the experts around here first. When I was stuck in my gross hotel for the night, I called Delta's customer service to make sure I was on a flight the next day and the CSR was in India and not very helpful at all. I'm wondering if there are better numbers to call that aren't outsourced help.

rkkwan Mar 7th, 2005 10:11 AM

I see. Well, looks like it's a DL ticket with a DL flight number. So, you should be dealing with DL for compensation.

And since the mechanical happened at your home airport, the airlines do not have to put you in a hotel. So, I don't think they really owe you anything in this case.

However, I'll still call DL about this. The least they can do is give you a few hundred Skymiles, and perhaps $50 or so of travel coupon.

MerryTravel Mar 7th, 2005 10:12 AM

Thank you for your help. I'll see what Delta says, but I'm not holding my breath.

MerryTravel May 17th, 2005 10:26 AM

I just wanted to update this post. I wrote to both Continental and Delta and received responses from both. Delta also gave me a $100 travel voucher.

rkkwan May 17th, 2005 11:25 AM

I think that's fair.

FainaAgain May 17th, 2005 11:57 AM

Your business made the reservation, but YOU are the one to get a voucher? Very nice of the airline!

callalilli May 18th, 2005 10:47 PM

The person inconvenienced is always the person compensated.. no matter who paid for the ticket.