Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   SFO-ORD-BRU: 40 minutes changeover at ORD?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/sfo-ord-bru-40-minutes-changeover-at-ord-1035729/)

zorrosf Jan 27th, 2015 09:20 AM

SFO-ORD-BRU: 40 minutes changeover at ORD??

My travel agent booked me on a ticket SFO-ORD-BRU. At the time of booking, I had 55 minute changeover at ORD. United just unilaterally moved the ORD-BRU flight up 15 minutes, so now I have only 40 minutes. Flight is on May 9, so sleet/snow/ice is not an issue. Should I be worried???

Gardyloo Jan 27th, 2015 09:29 AM

Call United and tell them you're worried that your connection might be below minimum connection time (MCT) at ORD (which I believe it now is.) Have the record locator and ticket number(s) handy.

DonTopaz Jan 27th, 2015 11:14 AM

According to ExpertFlyer, the minimum connecting time for UA to UA, domestic to international, is 40 minutes (though there are some exceptions). So it's legal, but there will be plenty of days where you and/or your luggage would miss the connection, esp if you need to use the tunnel.

I agree w/Gardyloo -- call United and see if there's a safer connection.

Weekender Jan 27th, 2015 12:37 PM

There is no way that I would do that at ORD which is my home airport. Keep in mind that United begins boarding 30-40 minutes prior to departure.

Gardyloo Jan 27th, 2015 01:01 PM

<i>According to ExpertFlyer, the minimum connecting time for UA to UA, domestic to international, is 40 minutes...</i>

Okay; my read on Expertflyer for online D/I was 55 min., but I see where there are some 40m. connections. UA's footprint at ORD is so big, however, that I'd be concerned at a 40 min. change if the gates are miles from each other.

There are tons of UA SFO-ORD flights daily, so I'd just try to swap for an earlier plane.

DebitNM Jan 27th, 2015 01:45 PM

Hopefully, this entire flight is on one ticket, so that if the worst happened, you'd be covered for getting another flight.

But I would change the first flight, personally. I would be a wreck with so little time. Spring rain storms etc can happen.

zorrosf Feb 5th, 2015 09:50 AM

Thanks to all who responded. Based on your input, I tried to call United directly, but was told that I had to go thru my travel agent. I had a 30 minute hold for my travel agent (AmEx Travel because I wanted to use points), who then had to call United while I waited on hold. Another 30 minute wait. United's response: "No." Not "we will change your flight for a fee" just "No."

Finding an actual "brick and mortar" United Airlines ticking office is not easy these days, so I ended up going to the airport very early on Super Bowl Sunday and speaking to a live human being-ticketing agent. She was extremely nice, changed our first leg to an earlier flight without a fuss and NO CHARGE.

Just a reminder that the digital age has not completely replaced the human touch.

Kathie Feb 5th, 2015 11:10 AM

Glad it worked out for you.