Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Several Day Layover in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/several-day-layover-in-london-1079733/)

enewell Nov 29th, 2015 05:09 AM

Several Day Layover in London

I will be traveling from the US to Italy next April, returning in mid May. I am looking at flights on BA with a flight change at LHR. I would love to stop in London for a couple of days on the way home. When I put in a multi destination route, on one ticket, it is about $500 more when this stop is included. Any advice on how to work this?

RoamsAround Nov 29th, 2015 07:04 AM

Not sure what you are asking. Stopovers for a few days usually cost more then if you were doing just a connecting flight through London on your way to Italy.

Please clarify what info you are seeking.

enewell Nov 29th, 2015 07:20 AM

I'm asking about stopping over for a couple of days in London. Not a connecting flight.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Nov 29th, 2015 08:03 AM

There's really nothing you can do about this. A trip with a stopover almost always costs more than one with a simple connection. The UK also levies an air passenger duty on flights originating there. The minute you break your journey like this, that's what the London-home leg becomes.

Gardyloo Nov 29th, 2015 08:30 AM

If you could reverse things and fly into London and back from Italy (make it an "open jaw" itinerary) you could avoid the UK departure tax ("air passenger duty") that can add a substantial amount to the ticket. One-way flights from the UK to Italy are inexpensive, and by spending a few days in the UK on arrival, you wouldn't have to worry about connecting flights on arrival.

janisj Nov 29th, 2015 11:36 AM

I'd book open jaw into London and home from Italy. Stay a few days in London then fly easyJet from London to Italy. Much cheaper.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Nov 29th, 2015 01:34 PM

The tax goes up markedly for longer flights. You'd pay a relatively small amount on a UK-Italy flight. It would be a lot more on a UK-USA flight. So Gardyloo's suggestion for breaking your journey on the way to Italy will cost you a lot less.

enewell Nov 29th, 2015 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I need to look into Easy Jet or other such flights to get me from London to Rome. I love London so much I can't bear to be so close and not stop!

Gardyloo Nov 29th, 2015 04:50 PM

<i>...I need to look into Easy Jet or other such flights to get me from London to Rome.</i>

Any of the majors are pretty inexpensive, too, e.g. BA for US$130.

janisj Nov 29th, 2015 06:01 PM

My last easyJet from LGW to Venice was about $58. Would assume to Rome would be in the same ballpark. But as Gardyloo says most any will be pretty inexpensive if you book far enough ahead.

Southam Nov 30th, 2015 06:36 PM

For European budget airlines, which tend to function on one-way tickets, try www.skyscanner.com Note that on the busiest routes the traditional international carriers have to reduce their prices to compete.