KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Search

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Hi, anyone out there with experience or feedback on this airline? Stopover and change in Amsterdam to Rome (departing from Chicago). Right now it seems like the lowest fare for me to choose for this last-minute trip from Chicago to Rome. Feedback very appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM

They're OK but not as highly rated as some other European carriers. We've flown them four trips from Amsterdam to Tanzania and back, and once to Nairobi (back on their partner Kenya Air) ... on the leg from AMS to the USA we fly Continental and clearly Continental is better (especially business class vs KLM business class), but for sure if they have "the lowest fare" I'd go with them.

Bill
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM

KLM is not terrible, but they aren't that good either.

The biggest issue is that the plane on this route looks to be a 747 Freight/Passenger Combo aircraft. this is not an overly comfortable plane, particularly in coach. It shows its age, too, with no in-seat entertainment options, except in biz. And the seating is tight and not overly comfortable. Booze is free, for what that is worth, and the food should be edible.

On the bright side, connecting in Amsterdam is incredibly convenient. And I find KLM's intra-European product perfectly acceptable - pretty nice even. And they are most certainly better than Alitalia, in case you were tempted to take them.

I'm not sure I would pay much extra money for another carrier, but there are better coach experiences out there. I will agree to disagree with Bill that Continental is one of those better carriers for long-haul flights.

If you are flying business class, I find KLM good enough, but again not up to the standards of some of the better carriers, like BA or Virgin Atlantic.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Two years ago we were on KLM. Our flight was AMS/FCO. The business class section was three/three. Not nice plus they lost one of our suitcases so we had to pay for a hotel overnight.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Yes, I should clarify. KLM's intra-European coach product is good. There intra-European business class product is a complete joke, and barely different from coach. None of the European carriers offer a very good product when flying within Europe, but KLM is especially bad.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

So then, what is your favorite/good experience airline from Chicago (America) to Rome? Is the extra money to have non-stop worth it?

Good to hear that if I have to stop and change Amsterdam is a good place to be.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM

I've flown them several times to Africa (through Amsterdam) and loved them. Their attendants were outstanding. I few Business Class, so I don't have any details on coach, but I had much better luck with them than some of the other European carriers (have had awful luck with Air France and Luftansa)......
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM

<i>So then, what is your favorite/good experience airline from Chicago (America) to Rome?</i>

This varies on what you value.

Many on this board seem to loathe Heathrow and will avoid it at all costs. Myself, I don't mind it, and think it is miles ahead of connecting in the US. So, I would look at BA, if the pricing were competitive, as I think their in-flight product in both coach and biz is quite good.

Swiss would probably be a bit more comfortable than KLM, and Zurich is almost as nice of a place to connect as Amsterdam. Ditto for SAS, via Copenhagen.

Again, though, I'm not sure I would pay a huge premium for any of these options.

The carriers I would certainly not place above KLM would be Lufthansa, Alitalia, or most of the American carriers. Of the American carriers only Northwest has what I view as a really good trans-Atlantic coach product, but this would require 2 connections, so is not worth it.

On the whole, I would say that, if you are saving money, just go with KLM and don't look back. It will be good enough.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know your travel dates, thus can't see what your choices/prices might be, but if you're flying coach, I'd think that 9 hours on a nonstop (American, Alitalia, Delta) would beat the pants off 16+ hours counting connection time (KLM). Schiphol is indeed a nice airport to change planes in, but you're still flying in coach overnight, but then have to fiddle around Amsterdam in the morning, and get to Rome in the afternoon, vs. getting there in the morning after a nonstop that's only an hour or so longer than just the flight from Chicago to Amsterdam.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

These tips are all very helpful. At my age and limited mobility, I think I'm going to go for a direct flight, even if it is on alitalia. It will just be so wonderful to step on one plane in Chicago and step out in Rome. Good advice. Thanks to all.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM

missjane - when do you leave?
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

OK, the deed is done and I am so happy to stop stressing out over this decision! Now I can start packing (Oh, now come some real stressing out!!) I made the leap and got a R-T flight from Chicago to Rome for $816 (includes all taxes and fees)--as opposed to about $1400--$1500 direct non-stop. I'm old and a little wobbly, but not THAT old! Plus I rather enjoy experiencing new international airports (except for Heathrow, never again!).

Airlines? A mixed bag of NW and Royal Dutch (same thing, right?) with 2-3 hour layover and changes in Amsterdam (which everyone says is delightful and easy to navigate. Is that because they sell vacuum-sealed bags of mushrooms?). So, I think I can handle it and have a small adventure as well.

I'm leaving on Monday May 26 and returning on Wednesday June 11. Will spend 8 nights in apt in Trastevere, and then DD and I will take an excursion to Spain (Madrid and Seville), as this is her last year in Rome--unless she can secure her dual Italian citizenship and return. She already bursts into tears at the thought of leaving Rome. When she returns to Chicago, she always cries on the way home from O'Hare, and just keeps repeating, &quot;It's so cold and ugly.&quot; I have been thrilled for her to have this experience, but we just can't keep helping to subsidize it any more (especially when a third of my money disappears into the Atlantic Ocean on its way to Rome). But that's another whole thread about young adults teaching English in Europe (see my contributions on that thread.)

Anyway, I feel like I got a pretty good deal for my flight and will report later on my experience with KLM Royal Dutch and Northwest, as well as Amsterdam airport.

I also mangage to secure a great apt in Trastevere after much humorous negotiation with the landlord, but that is another thread too, which I will include with my Trip Report--along with the surprise of being offered a FREE apartment after mentioning that I would be recommending their treatment and services on Fodor's and SlowTravel. Uh, I didn't accept the offer. More on that later.

This traveling stuff, it is forever and continually intresting, isn't it?? MissJane

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Miss Jane - Fantastic!

What apartment did you end up with? Is there a link to a thread?
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM

That is a very good deal. And I think you made the right choice. Sounds great.

BTW, if your only connection is AMS, then you should be on KLM the whole way. Due to a joint venture between KLM and Northwest, they sell all of the trans-Atlantic flights under both carriers' names. So, you will often have a ticket that says Northwest, but is on a KLM plane, and vice versa. Look at your itinerary to see if it tells you who operates the flight.

I point this out, because it will likely impact where you go to check-in in Chicago.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Unfortunately, KL's non-stop ORD-AMS is currently using the 747-400. That means no IFE. Communal big screen is all you get. Bring a book. Seating is a fairly uncomfortable 3-4-3 in most of coach, except for the front cabin, which is 2-3 but saved for Skyteam elites.

KL's 747-400 also has poor dispatch reliability. Over the past year and two, many of the longhaul flights have been canceled. Having said that, I don't see them canceling ORD often, so you should be okay.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. In spite of the drawbacks, I could not pass up the $816 for round trip, taxes and fees included. Might just have to tough it out, but I do wish it was a nicer plane!! I'm getting too old to keep &quot;toughing it out!&quot;
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

BTW, when I was directed to choose my seat, there was choice of &quot;smoking.&quot; Is this right? I rarely fly internationally, so is this possible? Will there be smoking on this plane?? Oh, no.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Nothing to worry about. From the KLM website:

<i>Smoking is not permitted on board any flight operated by KLM or Northwest Airlines. However, other partner airlines may have a different smoking policy in place. Please contact the airline operating your flight if you have any concerns. Smoking regulations will also vary in different airports.</i>
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Just remember, you will be flying KLM. You need to check in with KLM, terminal 5. Do not attempt to check in with NWA in terminal 2.

Old May 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

AA, I am so grateful for this info, since I will be traveling alone and don't handle stress very well. So, let me get this straight. I am flying out of O'Hare on Northwest and flying back home on KLM. So what you are telling me is that when I arrive at O'Hare for departure, I should go to KLM in Terminal 5. Do I have that right? I was confused about this already and intended to ask, so thanks so much for including this info. I appreciate any helpful advice that will spare me a freak-out or melt-down at O'Hare.

This also applies to my return from Rome, correct? It does say &quot;KLM&quot; from there, so I just go to Royal Dutch to check in. OMG, I'm starting to get the jitters already!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -