Reload this Page >

Sea Tac - grim motel, miserable security

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Cassandra

Just a heads-up for anyone planning to depart from Sea-Tac - esp. if planning to spend the night in a nearby motel before a pre-dawn departure.

1. Early morning set-up (4:30-5 am) for the TSA gates, at least in the A terminal, was miserable on Monday morning, with only 2 of a possible 5 portals functioning and an enormous line backed well beyond roped area. Later, gate agents indicated this was not unusual and sometimes causes late departures and missed planes. This is already documented on various websites but just to insert it as a reminder for cross-continental travelers from Seattle.

2. Never, ever, ever stay at the Ramada on International Blvd. -- the low price is just not worth putting up with filthy rooms, lax security, and elevators that smell like last week's egg rolls. I don't demand 5-star accommodations, esp. when I'm only spending 6 hrs. in a hotel before an early flight -- but this was memorably awful.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read some miserable reviews of cheap motels near Sea-Tac and it really isn't a nice area, so I agree with your caution although I haven't tried those places personally.

What I've done successfully three times now is bid on Priceline for a 3* hotel - I've gotten the DoubleTree, the Hilton, and the Radisson, although several other hotels are also possibilities. All are good hotels (the Radisson is more tired than the other two) and all feel safe. My winning bid has ranged from $42-55, depending on the season.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Cassandra

Thanks for the tip -- will have to go back often and will try the Priceline Ploy.

And an addendum to my OP: tripadvisor reviews indicate substantial car theft, car break-ins, etc. at that Ramada -- and I'd worry about the park'n'fly lot immediately next to it, at the very least.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM

I live around here, and that is definitely the 'dumpy' part of town. The Green River Killer used to haunt the Airport strip, if I remember correctly. What about staying downtown, and taking taxi in to airport? Most of the hotels around there look seedy to me, with the excepion of the Marriott which is pretty nice, at least it was when we used to travel in and out of Seattle. Has a nice restaurant too.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cassandra

It's hard enough to get to the airport by 4:30 for a 6 am flight -- at least it's only 5 min. from a local hotel (seedy though it may be); from downtown, you are talking another 1/2 hr. perhaps, and relying on the schedule of whatever shuttle or taxi service you're using. At some point, you might as well take a red-eye for all the sleep you're going to get before the flight.

Also, I would have been coming from the Univ. District, and I just wasn't willing to risk having trouble getting to the airport on time, let alone the extra time needed.

As a side question: why isn't the area trying to clean up its act? Who would be the force to do that -- gov't of Sea Tac? Airport/port authority? King County? Someone's Chamber of Commerce?
It's a disgrace that doesn't seem characteristic of an otherwise glorious part of the country.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM

All good questions, Cassandra. I came to Seattle in 1953 and the hot topic then was 'rapid transit', pros and cons. Fast forward to 2007, and quesswhat the hot topic is...you guessed it: rapid transit. They are very 'provincial' here and haven't dealt with the fact that this is now a very buy metropolis. But for 43 dollars, you shouldn't expect much of a motel/hotel anywhere. As a thought, why not try Renton or something near South Center....maybe they have an airport shuttle..By the way, my son lives in the central district and takes the airporter when he travels with good results.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cassandra

Am I just an old cynic or do you think, as I do, that if they ever get the light-rail out to the airport, it won't run 24/7 and I'll still be in the same pickle?