Safety

Jan 3rd, 2018, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Safety

Many news media at year-end proclaimed 2017 extremely safe for flying. Some of the statistics could be confusing, depending on the source. Here is one of the most comprehensive:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...airlines-2018/

No deaths were recorded on jet planes (but some propeller-driven deadly accidents). The choice of safest airlines, based on a number of criteria, such as average age of the airline's fleet, as well as actual in-the-air statistics, lends a certain amount of untestable guesswork to the list of safest. The 100 airlines banned from Europe lends a shiver to the data; most of them are in dark corners where the safety factors on the ground (motor scooters, etc.) can be unsettling too.
Jan 7th, 2018, 03:11 PM

gee, what a surprise, North Korean airlines isn't a good one, and I guess I'll forget booking Yeti airlines.

I don't think it's that there were no deaths on jets in 2017, it's just that they were cargo jets, not passenger jets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...16-kyrgyzstan/
Jan 8th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you are right; I should have specified passenger jets. To give credit where it is due, other publications have identified the attitude in the industry as wide open to scrutiny and close examination of what went wrong.If ever there were an area where learning from mistakes is positive, it must be these statistics.

Search this Thread