Ryan Air baggage limit questions

Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Ryan Air baggage limit questions

I'm flying Ryan Air this spring, and am having problems understanding the info on their website about their baggage limit. For instance, their website says that there is an allowance of a maximum of 15 kg free checked baggage per passenger, but then a couple of paragraphs below it says that checked baggage will be charged at a rate of 7 euros/kg for every kg over 10 kgs. Huh? Another question I have is whether the 10kg of hand luggage you can take on is in addition to your purse or if that is your purse. Has anyone flown Ryan Air recently enough to advise?
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:43 AM

Their luggage policy actually makes sense. Problem is that they seperate the terms for checked luggage into two seperate sections.

Checked baggage:
- Each person is allowed 15kg.
- Each bag over 10kg will be charged at 7euro/kg.
- Maximum bag weight is 32kg.
= Together this means, if you want to fully utilize your 15kg of allowance without having to pay, you need to have two pieces of checked luggage. One 10kg, then other 5kg; or one 8kg, the other 7kg, etc... If you bring a bag that's 15kg, then you'll be charged 35euros because your bag is overweight... If two of you are travelling together, then you can have 30kg allowance among the two of you. You can take THREE 10kg bags with no charge. But if you take ONE 30kg bag, then you'll be charged 140euros.

Not sure if Ryanair count your purse as a cabin baggage. Try asking that on the Europe board.
Jan 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Have flown RyanAir, and as it turns out, had only ONE bag to check that was around 13kg. They did not charge me, because I was still underneath the 15kg. Basically, I got a nice gate agent. They did not weigh my small carryon bag or my pocket book, or the bag of duty free goodies I had... You'd be surprised at how little trouble people give to those who smile and say please and thank you (extra bonus points if you can do it in their native tongue).
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Ryanair do have a bit of reputation of charging low prices for their flights and then enforcing the excess weight restrictions quite ridgedly, which a lot of the more expensive airlines don't do.
Jul 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I flew RyanAir in the middle of an USA/Ireland/Scotland/London/USA trip. We had lots of luggage. On RyanAir I was more than pleasant, but our baggage was way over their limits and ended up paying over 200 Euro on a flight from Dublin to Aberdeen. This was considerably more than our tickets. Not one other airline (Aer Lingus/British Airways/American Airlines) charged us anything for our luggage. My advice is if you have any kind of luggage stay away, stay far away from Ryanair. So the advice of being pleasant to a gate agent means nothing with Ryanair. And by the way, they charge a flat fee of 25 Euro for a golf bag, no matter how much it weighs, so stuff your golf travel bag with all of your excess unbreakable weight and save a few euro.
Jan 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Ryanair has announced changes with the baggage limits and announced increased handlings fee's for baggage from 1 Mar 2006. Details will be published soon.

Jan 29th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Details were announced on Jan 25. From March 16, checked baggage limits are 20 kg, though you have to pay £2.50 per checked bag (they say they're knocking the £2.50 off fares), or £5 if you haven't pre-checked them on the web.