Review of the new AA business class seats

Dec 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Review of the new AA business class seats

Just a quick report.

Flew Brussels-Chicago yesterday and finally got lucky with the new business class seats.

Somewhat of a mixed feeling about comfort. The seat itself, although totally flat, is not fully horizontal. No problem with that, in fact a vast improvement over the old seats. New duvets with a full size pillow. Another great improvement. BUT, with the shell type seating and AA deciding to keep the same number of seata as the old config, the new setup feels somewhat cramped and claustrophobic, at least for me. There is no room to keep anything under the seat in front of you just because of the duvet and pillow as well as the foot rest extending all the way under the seat in front. The seat has infinite number of setups and also has a memory button, so once you find the position that suits you and need to get up, all you have to do is press the memory button to get back to your setting.

IFE - GREAT improvement!!! It's a kind of a DVD player but it has everything stored in the memory. About 10 movies, 10 TV shows, 10 music stations, games and games. Flight map is showned on the small TV screens throughout the cabin.

Service was great. Food outstanding with a choice of , a salmon appetizer, salad, 4 different main dishes for dinner and another service at about 1.5 hours before landing, a choice of a beef sandwich or Chicago style pizza.

Outstanding wines, blows BA away.

The FAs were great, friendly and very attentive. I actually gave them a box of Belgian chocolates I was taking home as a thank you gift and my FA also received the new "great service cert". All the elites got them in the mail and are suppose to hand them to any employee that they feel like went above and beyond and provided great service. I really didn't know what they got from AA from this, and as explained to me by the FA, it's not as rewarding as the old certs, but they all appreciate them when they get them.

Over all a very good business product, I just have some problem with the closeness of the shell seats. Also, don't choose the window seats as you will have to be very athletic to jump over the sleeping seat partner. Aisle seats are the way to go, and thank god they are the majority as the setup is 2-2-2 on the 763s.

Still a vast improvement over the old business class seat.
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Next time, give us a report about the food in AA's economy class. A wine report from back there would be nice, too.

I remember last year I was returning from Australia on Qantas and I got bumped up to Business, front row window. I got up to use the toilet in the middle of the night, and I said to myself, "just don't fall on this sleeping guy." It is a little tricky.

Glad you are happy. I decided to fill my 3 ounce bottle of hand sanitizer with rum for my next flight.
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM

BTW, I hope you remembered to use the toilet in your "ticketed cabin." How many times did they remind you during the flight?
Dec 12th, 2006, 09:13 AM

BTW, I just got an E-Mail that BA is getting ready to redo their Business Class seats again.
Dec 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Wally, somehow I think your aversion to American Airlines has to do with its initials.

AAFF, think there will be a chance of these on flights from JFK to LHR next spring/summer?
Dec 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Flew 1st and Bus on BA's 777s in July '04 and the wines were great.
Are AA's really better?
AeroMexico served pdg Montes Alpha (CL) wines in business in Nov.
M
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Just a quick note about wines. Qantas only serves Australian wines and South African Airways only serves South African wines. I got along just fine with them since they were free in coach.

But if you only like California wines, these airlines are NOT for you.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

wally,

perhaps you should consider.....that special drinking group???

I would like to think that a thread heading "Review of the new business class seats" would be understood for what it is - a review and a comparison of business class seat and service. I only compared the business class wine list and as such AA beats BA on most counts, with the little exception of champaign where BA is a notch above.

You should relax and enjoy different views and realize that BA is not the best airline, nor even close, in the world.

I have flown Qantas in F, and IMHO, the best flight ever, but it's based on 1 flight, so is it fair to Cathay Pacific, which I have flown 8 long haul first class? NO! as I had some fantastic experiences with CX, but the 1 QF flight outdid all CX flights. Am I going to say that QF is the best in the world? NO.

btw, I had a so-so experience in BA first, but once again it was a 1 time experience. The business experience is ok, but IMHO, with the exception of the flat-lie seat, it's not at all better than AA. Sorry to disappoint,

and once again, read the header and the review before going on some drunk tirade.....

btw, I'm flying BA business again in early March, so I will report.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM

wally must have figured out my email and forwarded it to BA, as I got an offer today to get the BA/Chase card with 20,000 bonus miles.

Not a bad way to get enrolled in Executive Club to start with...

[Sorry for going OT.]
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:16 AM

rkkwan:

Remember, when you book a flight with your BA credit card, you get double miles. If you book a flight in first class and the cost is $9,000, that is 18,000 miles. Plus the 20,000 miles you already have, and you only 12,000 more miles for a ticket to Europe. I have never seen BA ask for double miles for a flight. They did have Thurs., Fri., Sat., and Sun. blacked out, tho. But who wants to travel on the weekend to Europe.

I am a little disapointed with American Airlines and my miles. I have 91,000 miles and could not find a flight to Europe in Business (they wanted 180,000) or a flight to Hawaii in First class for 75,000 (they wanted 150,000) for my flexible dates.

I guess I need to retire so I can travel on the days AA has flights.

I'm flying to Australia today on BA to London and Qantas to Sydney so I will be wearing these same clothes for two days. Do you want me to write about the "Fasten Seatbelt Sign," or the "Food in Coach?" Hopefully, I can write about getting bumped up to Business!

Dec 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM

AA

Did they install curtains to separate Business from coach?

I liked the BA seats in business because they were totally flat and no angle. The footrest popped down after take-off which made the bottom part of the bed.

I also think that the idea of only giving 25% of the miles in coach class (BA) is actually a good idea. Less people are trying to get awards and if you fly another airline on a discount ticket, you get 25% of the miles where sometimes American won't give you any miles (100% or none)