Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Reschedule due to Irene 10 days later! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/reschedule-due-to-irene-10-days-later-904307/)

Mixter603 Aug 29th, 2011 05:59 AM

Reschedule due to Irene 10 days later!

Have Belgian guests who were scheduled to fly out from Newark tonight to Brussels. Due to Irene, they are being told their flight was canceled and they can't be rescheduled until September 10th. WTF!! One of the guests is on medication due to a cyst in his brain and will not have enough medication to keep him for that length of time.

Does anyone know how they can be rescheduled before the 10th? They are on Jet Air which flies from Newark to Brussels and then on to India.

Thanks.

rkkwan Aug 29th, 2011 06:32 AM

This is summer and most flights were full already. Now, how you do expect the airline to acommodate everybody whose flights were canceled because the airports shut down?

If the medicine is not available here, have someone FedEx or DHL over from Europe.

Or if one's okay with buying a full-fare economy or business or first class to Europe, I am sure there must be airline who's willing to bump someone on a cheaper fare.

yestravel Aug 29th, 2011 08:52 AM

That's terrible. Did they give them any chance of flying standby sooner? I know when these things have happened before I have read that folks go to the airport each day and often get on a flight. A pain to do, but may be worth it. In the good ole days airlines would sometimes put on extra flights to accommodate, not sure if the ever do that now.

mztery Aug 29th, 2011 11:00 AM

well they won't start flying again till tomorrow so I'm guessing that's part of the delay. Theuy also only have one flight a day so I'm sure they are accommodating passengers as best they can.

They partner with several airlines below
Our Airline Partners include
JetLite All Nippon Airways bmi Delta Airlines nEtihad Airways KLM Qantas nTurkish Airlines Virgin Atlantic
Air France American Airlines brussels airlines Dragonair Gulf Air Lufthansa South African Airways United Airlines
Alitalia Austrian Airlines Cathay Pacific Emirates Kenya Airways Malaysia Airlines SWISS US Airways

So you might see if they are willing to sign over the ticket to another airline for at least a flight to brussels.

mztery Aug 29th, 2011 11:02 AM

NOTE if they BUY tickets to brussels to get there sooner MAKE SURE Jet does not cancel the onward portion of the ticket to india. that's why it's be best if Jet will sign over the ticket themselves to another airline.

qwovadis Aug 29th, 2011 12:46 PM

www.airtransat.ca might have something cheap and sooner

Take the MapleLeaf up to Toronto... I have doen this

for great deals in the past.

qwovadis Aug 29th, 2011 12:49 PM

Amtrak's Maple Leaf New York - Albany - Syracuse - Buffalo - Niagara Falls - Toronto ... these stations, and to Grand Central Terminal ...www.trainweb.org/amtrak/e_toront.html

Jeff_Costa_Rica Aug 29th, 2011 01:30 PM

"NOTE if they BUY tickets to brussels to get there sooner MAKE SURE Jet does not cancel the onward portion of the ticket to india."

I gather they're going only as far as Brussels, even though the plane continues onwards to India.

It's unfortunate that there are no "extra flights" to put on in these situations, espeically when they happen far from an airline's hub.

Good luck.