Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Refund for pre-paid upgrade that didn't happen (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/refund-for-pre-paid-upgrade-that-didnt-happen-936099/)

3Doxens May 22nd, 2012 07:52 AM

Refund for pre-paid upgrade that didn't happen

Paid with miles and $ for a wait listed upgrade on United that didn't happen. Will UA automatically refund my credit card or must I call or send a request?
Thanks.

bettyk May 22nd, 2012 08:39 AM

Don't know about UA, but AA doesn't actually charge your credit card or deduct miles UNTIL the upgrade clears. I suggest you contact UA to see what their policy is.

mztery May 22nd, 2012 09:06 AM

@bettyk - UA is NOT AA - UA charges you when you make the request.

Refunds are running about a WEEK TO 10 DAYS.If no credit by then, use the email page on the UA site to contact customer service.

Kathie May 22nd, 2012 09:59 AM

In my experience, it happens automatically.

Southam May 22nd, 2012 11:28 AM

United owes me points on a trip taken last fall. I made my first request at the end of October (to Continental) and by February had received a reply that the points would be posted. But the Continental-UA merger was ongoing and I have heard nothing from UA since, despite monthly e-mail requests. So don't hold your breath.
However, you do have another option. Make a formal complaint now to your credit card for non-fulfilment of service. It won't retrieve your points but you might get some cash, or some leverage.

3Doxens May 22nd, 2012 12:08 PM

It was $1,100 charged when I made the request in February, and it's been a week. I'll give it another few days.
Thanks.

bettyk May 22nd, 2012 04:11 PM

GEE, MZTERY, GET A GRIP!!!

mztery May 22nd, 2012 10:08 PM

re:
GEE, MZTERY, GET A GRIP!!!

really? you give incorrect info and Is should get a grip.? OK....

Melnq8 May 23rd, 2012 12:25 AM

<I suggest you contact UA to see what their policy is.>

How is that giving incorrect info?

mztery May 23rd, 2012 08:37 AM

@melnq8 - because, why would someone even suggest what AA does - it is irrelevant.

bettyk May 23rd, 2012 01:30 PM

Obviously, mztery, is not a fan of mine, Melnq8!! LOL. I'm crushed!

ms_go May 24th, 2012 03:44 AM

As an aside, I'm not a fan of the post-integration practice of collecting the co-pay at the time you request an upgrade if the upgrade is waitlisted. If/when the upgrade clears, okay...but even that is a change for pre-integration United flyers.

For our last trip with failed upgrades (fortunately before this started), it would have amounted to giving United an $1800 loan for 9 months (3 people x "L" fare co-pay for US-Asia).

Good luck to the OP on the refund.

amer_can May 26th, 2012 07:25 PM

I waited for several weeks and was assured three times that my refund of taxes on a ff ticket were refunded. I finally got in touch with Chase and they immediately credited my cc and got it straightened out with BA. BA had posted the refund to an incorrect account for some reason??? Who knows what the computer input person does??? Have your documentaion and email customer service at you bank/cc carrier.