Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Redeeming Elite Rewards Miles (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/redeeming-elite-rewards-miles-549993/)

LUAnnski Aug 7th, 2005 05:34 PM

Redeeming Elite Rewards Miles

I have a visa which accumulates miles for purchases on the card.
Does anyone have any experience redeeming miles for air travel with this program? We are thinking of traveling to Italy next April. Trying to gauge if they stand behind their claims.
Thanks for any help.
Louise

rkkwan Aug 7th, 2005 06:39 PM

It'd help if you tell us the name of the card and its program...

BeachBoi Aug 8th, 2005 05:49 AM

I have a CitiBank Mastercard that gives me 1 frequent flyer for every dollar I charge to the card.On mmy credit card statement every months, it lists the number of miles to be posted to my frequent flyer account.On the frequent flyer account, it shows the numbers of miles posted from the Credit Card Company.It works.You will redeem your miles thru the airline, not the credit card company.So you follow the rules for the redemption process the same as you would if you had earned the miles thru actually flying them.I hope this helps....Stephen

P_M Aug 8th, 2005 09:26 AM

LUAnnski, are you using a card such as Capitol One where you can redeem with any airline, or are you a member of a frequent flyer program? We want to help you, but we can't with only the info you have provided. Please tell us more.

LUAnnski Aug 9th, 2005 11:13 AM

Sorry I took so long to return to this posting.
The card is a Visa card through MBNA in Delaware and it's name is Elite Rewards Platinum. I get 1 point for every dollar spent and the points accumulate for purchase of air tickets or merchandise at various places. The air tickets are for any airline. I get a statement every three months that tells me how many points I have. To redeem points for air tickets, I have to call Elite Rewards. They do not deposit points in an air account. Don't know if after calling them they connect me to the airline.
Is anyone familiar with this program? Been seeing so many problems with air miles (Delta comes up a lot) that I wanted to hear from someone who has gone through this via a credit card's points.
Thanks for your replies.
Louise

rkkwan Aug 9th, 2005 11:25 AM

I see. Don't know about this card, but it sounds similar to Capital One's reward card.

I think availability won't be as much a problem as a regular airline card, and you can use any airline you want.

But check the conversion rate. Is it based on the air ticket's cost? Or is it based on where you're flying to? It may be a good deal, or you may be better off with just a regular 1% cash back card.

LUAnnski Aug 9th, 2005 11:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.
Will check the conversion rates. I have almost 100,000 points but remember reading that the ticket cost can't be more than a certain amount when points are converted. I am especially excited to hear that this kind of card will allow me more options when putting together my flight plans. I am very flexible when I can travel from Feb. 2006 on so hoping this will work out. What we would really like is a business class ticket or a plane with a high number of inches of seat pitch in coach. We are both over 6'.
Thanks again.
Louise

rkkwan Aug 9th, 2005 12:30 PM

Well, I looked up some information on MBNA's website, and there are good things and not-so-good things about this card. I also don't see anything about business class travel.

Depending on where you're flying, the conversion rate range from "as good as" to "much poorer than" airline's own card. For example, US-Canada is 35,000 miles vs 25,000; US-Asia is 75K vs 60K on most airlines.

On the other hand, US-Europe is 50K, which is the same as most airlines', and you gain the flexibility.

You can also claim hotel rooms (rate are not bad), and Avis rental (not very good rate at 7,500/day).

Anyways, MBNA is a huge credit card issuer. I think they should be fair with their products. I just don't see anything on business class travel.

clevelandbrown Aug 9th, 2005 01:22 PM

The two cards I looked at require that you buy through an agency of their choosing, but it appeared that the agency could get tickets on most airlines (Southwest was excepted).

The question I have is what type of tickets they get you. I know some of the very cheapest tickets don't qualify for frequent flyer miles. On the other hand, if the tickets do qualify for FF miles, it seems like an opportunity to build up your mileage that is not available when you get reward tickets through my frequent flyer program.

Patty Aug 9th, 2005 02:21 PM

On the bottom of the application, it does mention that first class tickets are available though it does not list the cost in points. I imagine you'll need to spend substantially more points as these non-airline affiliated programs essentially purchase a ticket for you.

LUAnnski Aug 10th, 2005 04:12 AM

Thanks again to all who responded.
I am aware of the first class availability and that I would need to call for the points required. With a first class ticket, I am concerned that all of my points will be required for one ticket and I'll spend a fortune for a second first class ticket. Will have to call and just find out! I can leave from Phila, NY, Newark, or Baltimore so lots of choices.
I also want to try (this will take a lot of searching by the ticket agency) for an open-jaw flight. Wish me luck.
Louise

rkkwan Aug 10th, 2005 05:07 AM

A roundtrip ticket to Europe (open-jaw or otherwise) will cost 90K to 100K for business class on most airline's own FF programs. I doubt it'd be lower than this on your card, potentially much more.

You definitely will not have enough for two tickets. With "almost 100,000 points", you don't even have quite enough for two tickets in coach.

Therefore, you are definitely going to be buying at least one ticket if you want to fly business class or higher.

LUAnnski Aug 10th, 2005 11:47 AM

Thanks again. This is great information. I guess one very expensive free ticket out of two is not so bad.
I am thinking that I will also ask about going coach and see how far my miles will take me.
Will definitely post when I am in the process of getting tickets.
rkkwan: you have been a great help. Thank you.
Louise