Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Reclining Seats in BA Premium Econ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/reclining-seats-in-ba-premium-econ-1146413/)

stokebailey Nov 4th, 2016 06:02 PM

Reclining Seats in BA Premium Econ?

I've always been puzzled about having a seat that reclines but being considered rude if I do so. Usually I suffer pretty much upright unless the seat behind me is empty.

I'm getting ready to buy tickets ORD - LHR on BA. I'm tempted by Premium Economy seats that have a pitch of 38 vs 31 in economy. I don't need extra width. If I pay extra for World Traveler Plus, will I still have to feel that I should not recline? Flying from STL to ORD, I don't get to choose a seat, since that leg is on AA.

historytraveler Nov 4th, 2016 06:25 PM

Our family flew BA premium economy this past summer DEN to LHR. I have been flying first or business class for years but no way could I afford 8 business class tickets so figured I might be able to manage premium economy. Family loved it. I managed and, yes, you can recline seats but certainly not flat bed as in business class.

stokebailey Nov 4th, 2016 06:55 PM

Thank you, Historytraveler. Good to know. Luckily for me I've never been spoiled on flat bed seats, just gaze at them enviously as I shuffle past.

northie Nov 4th, 2016 08:39 PM

We fly premium economy on all international flights and love it- even reclining the sear does not interfere with the one behind .

stokebailey Nov 5th, 2016 05:45 AM

Thanks, northie!

wally34949 Nov 5th, 2016 09:01 AM

I avoid reclining my seat until the lights are turned off in economy. Wish more people would do that.

HappyTrvlr Nov 5th, 2016 01:34 PM

Flew British Air Premium Economy LHR-PHX a few days ago. Old aircraft, 747, dedicated cabin,but roomy and had no problem, nor guilt, reclining my seat.

P_M Nov 5th, 2016 04:53 PM

You should not feel badly for reclining your seat but I make it a rule not to do that during meal service. Any other time there is no reason you should not recline and be comfortable.

stokebailey Nov 5th, 2016 07:06 PM

Wally, HappyT, and P_M, I appreciate your insights. Helpful!

kawh Nov 6th, 2016 01:36 AM

b.a. premium economy was like our gateway drug that quickly led us into business class! comfy seats. plenty of room in front of you so you don't feel annoyed if someone reclines into your space. last time we flew it, there were real foot rests, but i heard that they're getting rid of them. best part is that it is a totally separate section, so it's just really calm and quiet. highly recommend it.

stokebailey Nov 6th, 2016 06:48 AM

Thanks, kawh. I'm sold, as long as I don't get too spoiled. Trying to limit my more expensive addictions.

kawh Nov 6th, 2016 08:00 PM

stokebailey.. report in after... i'm curious whether they still have the foot rests. going overseas, we have now settled in to flying out coach (you have excitement on your side in that direction) and flying home business. it's soooo hard to go backkwards on travel comfort!!

joto Nov 7th, 2016 12:20 PM

We are booked in BA economy for an 11 hour flight. DH said he wanted to upgrade to economy+, as he needs a little extra room. BA quoted us just over $3000 yesterday, just to upgrade him. NO way. We are not made of money, and had a hard time trying to save up to go and see his elderly father.

historytraveler Nov 7th, 2016 07:33 PM

It will often cost more to upgrade to another class after booking than booking your desired class in the first place. I assume you are not Executive Club members and have not collected any miles or avois as BA calls them. You could keep checking with the airlines but flights are almost always full and there's little room for negotiating but give it a try when you check in.

fmpden Nov 17th, 2016 06:51 AM

This may open the frequent discussion about the right to recline a seat. I always do. If you don't like it, take it up with the airlines.

CarolA Nov 25th, 2016 08:57 AM

You should never feel that you should not recline. The seats recline for a reason. Recline away.

If the person behind you is unhappy they can consider airlines in the future that don't offer that option. But generally what you discover is that after they "whined" at you they proceeded to push their seat all the way back LOL!

(I did not recline once when a guy asked. When I got up I saw that he had reclined back and was stretched out as happy as he could be. I came back to my seat and pushed mine back. He whined again. I smiled and said 'you reclined' He then told his wife that I was mean to him... Poor thing!)