Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Read if you're flying KL in the next few weeks/months!

Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

KLM is known to have one of the industry's highest utilization rate for its longhaul aircrafts. I've read like 16 hours for its MD11, which is remarkable, or stupid...

Those who may be flying KL or thinking about flying KL in the next near future may want to read this thread:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695692

All I can say is like many others - Wow! I mean, WOW!!!

[I actually saw one of the stranded 747-400 at IAH 2 weekends ago, when I arrived in IAH early in the morning. It broke down and was at IAH for like 2 days.]

It's really unbelievable how many longhaul flights have been cancelled within a month, and how many were delayed for over 24 hours.

Add to that NW's recent problems with its pilots, the NW/KL combo is going have a long summer.
Jun 24th, 2007, 03:46 AM

How come they write only about KLM? I am sure many other airlines are having similar problems. Better safe then sorry and cancel or delay a flight instead of flying in an unsafe plane.

Long waits before take-off (like e.g. NY)is not an airline but an airportproblem...
Jun 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

You think that's normal? Did you count how many flights are outright cancelled because of solely mechanical reasons, and not weather related?

Maybe you're used to USAirways or Northwest, but that's an usually high rate of cancellation, which a well-run, profitable airline should be experiencing. Sorry, but I have much higher expectation on KLM.

BTW, people on other boards on FT also report each airline's problem. For example, about a month ago, UA was delaying its ORD-PEK flights like 5 days in a row for 4-5 hours because of lack of aircraft. I found out and certainly reported that. But that's UA.
Jun 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I flew KLM both March and May/June. No delays, no problems.
Jun 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Like I said...better safe then sorry...
Of course nobody likes cancelled flights, but it if is mechanical, I rather have the cancelled flight....
Jun 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Of course if there's a mechanical issue, the flight has to be canceled. But I'm saying that KL published a too aggressive summer schedule with not enough spare aircrafts and no margin of error.

That's not a good way to run a large airline.
Jun 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM

How many of the transatlatic flights were actually KLM planes and how many NW? If I fly KLM transatlantic I often end up on a NW operaterd plane, but have a KLM flight number.
And please called them KLM not KL it is Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij, not Koninklijke Luchtvaart, which is Dutch makes no sense.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

KL is KLM's IATA code. It's totally correct and appropriate to use IATA code here, and most people understands it.

As for codeshares, you will see on their itinerary who's operating what. If it's operated by NW, it'll say "operated by Northwest Airlines". KL's trans-Atlantic flight are numbered KL6xx.
Jun 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

To clarify further:

NW-operated transatlantic flight will usually be NWxx and KL60xx.

KL-operated transatlantic flight will usually be KL6xx and NW86xx.
Jun 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM

hetismij,
All of the flights listed in the above referenced link are KL operated flights.