Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   ? re: Southwest, one-stop flight, seating (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/re-southwest-one-stop-flight-seating-347576/)

Cassandra Aug 13th, 2003 05:50 AM

? re: Southwest, one-stop flight, seating

I know that if you have a connection with Southwest, you have to take your chances of being in the last group for seating on your second flight. But I'm looking at a single, continuing flight that lists one stop along the way. Do they allow continuing passengers to just keep their seats, without having to go through the cattle-run again?

BeachBoi Aug 13th, 2003 06:06 AM

Yes.And if you got a crummy seat in the beginning,watch for the last guy to leave and then grab a better one...BTW I heard on the TV in my hotel room that Southwest has become the first low fare carrier to be NumberOne in carrying domestic passengers in a month--May.They beat the BigGuys.But when will the BigBoys learn!! Never.....

nabstam Aug 14th, 2003 05:20 PM

I am beginning to find that Southwest is just as good as American, Delta etc. The big airlines are not feeding you like they use to, the employees are not as friendly as they use to be.
The employees at Southwest are friendly, kind and funny. You can sit where you would like, and I have never been on a flight that has been late.
That is what I think.

J_Correa Aug 15th, 2003 11:00 AM

I like flying Southwest too and don't find it really any more of a cattle call than United. Sure you can get an asigned seat with other airlines, but everyone still queues up the same and tries to cram onto the plane at the same time.

cfc Aug 15th, 2003 05:49 PM

Does SW have preboarding for people with disabilities or elderly or....? How often do they seem to make special accommodations for special needs, or is it limited to the wheelchair-bound only?

LEANNAT Aug 15th, 2003 07:17 PM

Yes they have preboarding...but tell them you want it when you make your reservation.
I have to say Southwest is outstanding in my book. Recently on a simple flight from Burbank to Las Vegas...the plane coming in had developed some trouble and we were told that they had to get a new plane etc. Everybody groaned and expected the United/Delta/American shuffle...and maybe in 3 or 4 hours we would get up and away. BUT..within 15 minutes they moved us all to another gate and we were off!!! I was only 10 minutes late getting into LV.
Then coming home, there were horrid thunder and lightening storms and all planes were grounded. BUT SW kept us informed w/ the truth thru annoucements and managed to keep 4 planes of passengers happy while we all waited. I did get a plane and did get home.....and it all happened within 3 hours. I just thought they were amazing, honest, and I will book flights w/ them whenever its possible...even if I have to fly a bit out of my way!!!

BeachBoi Aug 16th, 2003 06:36 AM

Preboarding of passengers with special needs--elderly,travellers with children, etc,happens at the gate.When you check in at the gate,simply inform the gate agent.They are happy to assist.In fact,with Southwest,their people are Happy people.Happy to have jobs,happy their airline is profitable.

buckspc Aug 19th, 2003 04:04 PM

If you board in the first group you get to sit closer to the front but if the plane is not full all the spare seats are in the back so you sometimes can have a whole row to yourself as we did going and coming from San D, to Nashville. We just got on the in last group and had the back all to ourselves, thank you, buck