Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Question regarding Atlanta Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/question-regarding-atlanta-airport-769141/)

shirleyk Feb 23rd, 2009 11:55 AM

Question regarding Atlanta Airport

How long approximately will it take me to walk briskly from Concourse C to Concourse A? I have a 40 minute connection time and Delta will not ticket me on the flight because they say I need 90 minutes. They say I must take the connecting flight the next morning. A 12 hour layover.

KipM Feb 23rd, 2009 12:41 PM

I believe that if your flight gets there on time, you should have no problem getting from C to A concourse in 40 minutes. Of course, the earlier you get off your plane, the better, so sit near the front (boarding door).
I have made concourse A to E in 35minutes (albeit running)on a flight to Los Angeles. This was back when they flew one 777 from Atlanta to LA (flight 101, i think-----They stopped this flight soon afterwards due to rising fuel costs.) I got there just when the door was closing.....(I was determined to make it b/c i was in 1st class and on this plane, and 1st had the 180degree stretch out seats, which i thought was very comfortable with lots of room)...Kip

rkkwan Feb 23rd, 2009 06:02 PM

First, DL uses basically all concourses at ATL. In many cases, you don't know which concourse you will use. And it's 1/4 mile from the furthest gate at each concourse to the escalators to get down to the train.

Second, airlines have internal "minimum connection time". They won't sell you a ticket below that because they figure that the chances are high you will not make the connection, and they will need to re-accommodate you in the event of a mis-connection.

You may be complaining about why DL won't allow a 40-minute connection at ATL, but more often the complain on this and other forum is "Why does Airlines XXX sell me such a short YY-minute connection?"

Rastaguytoday Feb 23rd, 2009 08:31 PM

Last year I flew into Atlanta twice, and had two nasty late planes, each 1 hour+ late.

Check Atlanta's on time % and then decide. That's a big puppy of an airport for 4 minutes. If you're not flying nonstop into Atlanta, don't even think about it.

Last year, I had a very short connection due to a late arriveing plane at ORD. I ended up paying one of the wheel chair pushers to run me from one concourse to another.

I still barely missed my plane, but the ride alone was worth the $20.

dutyfree Feb 28th, 2009 06:50 PM

Concourse C is the commuter airline terminal (I believe,Comair,ASA,etc.?) so there are alot of variables when you are transferring from a RJ aircraft (and waiting for your carryon from below) to a real Delta aircraft in terminals A,B,T and E.

Luisah Mar 2nd, 2009 08:29 AM

<<You may be complaining about why DL won't allow a 40-minute connection at ATL, but more often the complain on this and other forum is "Why does Airlines XXX sell me such a short YY-minute connection?">>

And I'm one of them. I have 35 minutes to connect for a flight to LAX. I would have booked the next flight but it cost quite a bit more.

ccolor Mar 2nd, 2009 09:29 AM

Luisah: Please let us know how your mini-layover turns out. I've been hesitating booking a flight comparable to that because of the short time period so I'm curious and very glad you're trying it out first! *smile*

Luisah Mar 4th, 2009 06:28 AM

Hi ccolor,

My flight is in April, I'll let you know how it works out, but that may be too late to help you.

Dutyfree, I've flown ASA many times, it uses both C and D. My last flight from ATL in October left from D.