Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Question about Norwegian's liklihood of still being in business in March

Oct 6th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I know Norwegian airlines is having financial trouble but that they got a 'bailout' of sorts - I think I read for two years. But I know a lot of you are more 'airline business savvy' than I am. Would you book a flight BOS to London in March 2020?

Other airlines (BA, Virgin) are only about $50 more but I've flown Norwegian before and really like them and the times are best.
Oct 7th, 2019, 06:44 AM
J62

My stock market guess.

1. Will Norwegian be in business in March 2020? - YES
2. Would I assume they will fly BOS to London in March 2020 - NO

the question you need to ask yourself is "what will I do if they do not fly this March flight to London.....
Oct 7th, 2019, 12:18 PM

BA have had many disruptions past few months, ruining people's travel plans. Safest bet IMO is Virgin.
Oct 8th, 2019, 07:16 AM

I"ve never flown them so don't know their attractions, I have flown Virgin and really liked them so I would choose them.

I think they will be in business in March, although their costs are tough with the cost of fuel going up recently and there is still that persky Boeing max problem which costs them. They got a loan extension for a couple years. I do not think that route would be one they would drop if they drop more routes, they have a lot more fringe routes they could drop to cut costs other than that one. They had routes from all kinds of little odd airports in the US which I think they've already cut (like Providence RI). I don't think BOS would be one they'd cut if they are still in business. I'd think they might cut AUstin or Denver.
Oct 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM

We booked two rt tickets from Orlando to London for the end of May a couple of weeks ago for under 900.00 on Virgin with seat selection non stop getting us back into Orlando before 6 pm. It was perfect.
I know someone that went through hell with Norwegian a couple of weeks ago. I would not do it and stress.
Some friends from the Isle of Man lost their whole trip to Spain when Thomas Cook went under. Still haven't seen any money.
Oct 8th, 2019, 01:11 PM

I've flown both Norwegian and Virgin long haul from LAX and liked both of them (both flights on Dreamliners). If the Virgin flight is only $50 more all else being equal, I might go that way (but check to see what's included in terms of amenities, luggage size, and ability to chose your seat in advance for the fare class you're looking at).
Oct 8th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Ive used them a number of times and been messed around by them a number of times.

The final straw came this year when they wrecked our trip to Senja, Norway. It could have been an epic trip but they made the whole thing impossible due to cancellations 2 months prior to departure. Are they financially responsible? absolutely not. Without going into detail, they are inept and THEY were left hugely out of pocket in the way they treated us. Enough to pay for a free replacement trip to the Alps.

I wouldnt touch them at any price.
Oct 8th, 2019, 05:57 PM

Id be less worried about them stranding you and more worried about them customer service wise. Inept is a good word. Id use them again if it was a big savings, but in your case its not.
Oct 9th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've flown them a number of times and had no issues with customer service either on the ground or on the flight. But that's just anecdotal as are the responses that say they've had a terrible time with them. I think most airlines give people problems sometimes and I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about their financial crisis.

Cristina you made some good points that the BOS-LON route would not be the first to go. But as others pointed out it will still be risky so I guess I'll opt for Virgin (or BA). I don't really care about $50, it's more that a) I like the dreamliner planes, and b) I like the fact that Norwegian has often had some really outstanding fares (compared to everyone else) and I would like to help keep them in business for the future. But I don't want to stress about my trip being ruined from now to March.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:40 AM

I understand wanting to support them. IMO the reason you see reasonable fares on other airlines is thanks to the likes of Norwegian and other low cost airlines.

Question would be, how important is it to get there on your specific dates, or can you wait and see? What are your options if they fail when you're there already? Self-insure or trip insurance? Miles on other airlines?

Are the flight times that much better?

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 9th, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Oct 9th, 2019, 11:46 AM

Also, Norwegian flies into Gatwick while BA and Virgin fly to Heathrow. Might make some difference depending on where/what you plan to do while you're in the UK.