Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get my military family back to the States.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and Grandchildren have been in Tokayo for the past 3 1/2 years. They would like to come home to visit but so far getting a military hop has been unsuccessful.

Flying commercial has so far only been as cheep as $2200 per ticket.

Does anyone know of a way that would be a little cheeper for them?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM

What has been unsuccessful about military options? Is your dtr the service member or her spouse/boyfriend? Does not hte military offer some sort of arrangement after that length of time at a reduced cost?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

The military has four classes to board the hops. Class one is military personal with orders. Class 2 family members with orders. Class three military members on leave or without orders and lastly my daughters classification, family without orders.

They find out when the hops are 72hrs in advance, meet the plane and hope for the best. They can't even make any arrangements before landing in the States to get to thier final destination because they don't even know where each hop will be landing until it has been scheduled that 72hrs in advance.

The family's tour is almost up but they don't have any idea where they are going because son-in-law will be cross training. We have no idea yet where his training is going to be or how long it will take. One thing for sure is that they will then be posted to another base. So, long story short is that my dtr would like to go ahead and come home to visit and get both children in school. She probably will not rejoin sil until after the school year because she refuses to disrupt the kids school year.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Having waited space-A on a hop I know that it is unpredictable and difficult. As you say, without knowing in advance the stateside destination from where the ongoing journey would need to be booked it is virtually impossible to arrange advance purchase fares. Some airlines used to offer military discounts but not sure that is still the case. The travel office on post may be able to help find the best fare, but because they are traveling without orders they may not qualify for some discounts.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is sometimes cheaper to buy a round trip than a one way ticket. You just don't use the second half of the ticket. Technically this is a violation of fare rules but it is done all the time. Just don't tell the airline that you plan to do so.

You didn't say where the final destination in the US would be, but if it not a major city then you could consider booking flights to the closest major airport and arranging to drive from there.

Good luck!
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM

I just tried kayak with random dates since I could not imagine that airfare could possibly be that much - and it is! I entered random dates - some midweek, some weekend from Tokyo to LAX, Seattle or Chicago - and tried non-stop and one-stop. Still came out at the $2200 amount or higher.

Then using advice of Seamus I tried RT - came out even higher at first but then I played with dates and found RT non-stop 8/18 - 9/23 for $1500 on Korean Airlines and $1600 on United - not exactly cheap, but less. (This was Toyko to LAX).

So try to play around with dates for RT - and even try one-stop, especially if final destination is not east coast US, although my checking Chicago added far more to price of ticket from Tokyo than amount one could book LAX-Chicago on domestic US flight. Since it seems there is some flexibility of departure dates you might just be able to snag a deal even less than this - but at least it is hundreds less than the $2200.

And, thanks to your son for serving.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your advice. We'll keep trying. We live on the east coast and I'm not sure how far Korean Air flies. I'll check into ALB, BDL and JFK. There's always hope.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM

A one-way ticket with one stop LAX-New York (LGA) is only $150 on several airlines - so it becomes irrelevant how far east Korean Airlines flies. I am guessing booking separately the Pacific part of the flight on Korean or United to LAX and then the domestic part will end up being, in your case, less expensive.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I would NOT book the legs separately. If you do and there is a delay on the first flight that causes you to miss the connection you are on your own. You could always build in a one day layover in LAX but that would not be a lot of fun.
What you can do is find a transpacific flight that meets your needs, find the continuation flight before you book anything. Call the transpacific carrier to book and ask them to add on the LAX- xxx leg, providing them with the info (airline, flight, booking class, etc.) If you are going to be doing the buy RT and just use the outbound strategy, if they ask just tell them you will make your own way from xxx to LAX for the return.

BTW you may do better looking for flights right to the East rather than through LAX. If you enter your destination as NYC it will return flights for both JFK and EWR. If you use the 30 day search option on the ita site you can find fares less than $1,000 for dates in late August. That may not allow a lot of time for getting the kids enrolled in school, I realize, but perhaps you could start the paperwork in advance of their arrival?

And ditto gail's thanks to your son for his service.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM

It seems to me the people who should be working on this are your son-in-law and his wife, rather than someone in a distant location who has no standing with the military.

If they want to do this, they should go to the base transportation office and see what can be done about repatriating the family shortly before the tour will end, especially since schooling for the children is involved. Perhaps they could suggest that they return to your home early, and make their own arrangements for transport to the final duty station.

My experience is that the people who work in the base transportation office are very willing to help in such circumstances, and more knowledgeable about what is available in this situation than all of us who read Fodors, combined. They may be constrained, however, by fiscal problems that beset all government functions near the end of the fiscal year, but there are often ways around that.

I share in the appreciation for your son in law's service to our country.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm sorry - but this doesn't make sense. Their tour is almost up -- when the military will 100% pay for their passage home (once they are in the States, the wife/children can travel to see grandma for a teensy fraction of the $$$$ from Tokyo to the east coast)

But instead, she wants to pay $$$$$ to go home early, set the kids up in schools hundreds or thousands of miles from where they will be based, and keep them there for nearly a year instead of joining the husband/father.

It almost sounds like your daughter is considering splitting from her husband. If by chance that is the case -- she needs to conserve their funds, not spend thousands going home early. (yes, I do have experience as a military wife). If that isn't the case - then why can't she just wait until the tour is over and get home for free????
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the misunderstanding. No split happening in this family. Next base may not be stateside. They have been talking about Italy or Germany next.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Jeez, talk about jumping to conclusions!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM

I'm with you Seamus- what is up with the Negative Nellies???

GrammyB- Sounds like you just need to try different routes, dates. Keep trying. And good luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wasn't jumping to conclusions out of thin air. Most of the time after an overseas tour, families end up Stateside. GrammyB cleared that up -- but before that info -- paying $$$$ to go back to the States when the military would pay their way soon afterwards just didn't make sense. (Been there done that)

GrammyB: That is one of the problems w/ a posting in Asia but especially in Japan -- just no inexpensive way to get home. Once they have their next orders, won't the military provide flights into the States prior to their next assignment? At least that is what the air force used to do. Some spouses/children would go home on orders and then not go on to the final post until a few months later (after sponsors had helped the service member find housing/etc)
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Your right janisj, the military does send them home after the tour but like I mentioned my dtr wants the kids in school without any interuption.

GOOD NEWS... dtr found last minute flights that she will be taking and the price was $1700 for all three of them to travel. Must be karma.

I again want to thank all of you for the time you took searching and all the sugestions.